On Year on - Thyroid Lipoproteins, cortisol and gout

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone - TSH the range is 0.27- 4.2 mU/L .Apparently the optimal level is 1.8 to 3.0 . An underactive thyroid leads to weight gain, tiredness, dry skin, constipation, a feeling of being too cold, or frequent menstrual periods. On diagnosis my TSH was on the only 0.89 and an historic low and yes I did have some of that stuff. One year in - 1.41 so still way too low but better . Apparently to improve it I need to eat more cruciferous vegetable, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts and sea vegetables ( whatever they are ) I've already been tucking into macadamia nuts so maybe that has helped, more brazil nuts and cauliflower now on the agenda. (My doctor views my figures are "normal" - they aren't. )

Free T3 and T4

On diagnosis both Free T3 and free T4 were on the high side of normal despite the underactive TSH.

Free T4 - the main hormone produced - one year in I'm pretty much at the mid-point .

Free T3 - too high T3 indicates liver disease , low T3 can lead to depression and make it hard to sleep. My numbers are now a bit on the low side though not dramatically so . Maybe the brazil nuts will help !

Cortisol

Cortisol is made by the adrenal glands . Cortisol levels go up when the pituitary gland releases another hormone called adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). Cortisol has many functions. It helps the body use sugar (glucose) and fat for energy (metabolism), and it helps the body manage stress. When its tested you have to note the time of day . Mine was tested around 4pm gave a reading of (167 mmol or 6 mg dl) and that is pretty much in line with expectations.

Apoliprotein A 1- is a prime component of HDL and its considered protective for both heart disease and cancer .Its generally about 70% of HDL. it decreases with uncontrolled diabetes, kidmey disease and up with weight loss , exercise , and statins - which I don't take) . 108- 225 rang - me 142 compared to media target of 166 , but this is actually 85% of HDL which is itself high thanks to HCLF

Apoliprotein B - a prime component of VDL At this stage I have only got so far as understanding that a low ApoB is good -range 60-117 with an ideal goal of less than 100 as a non diabetic d less than 80 as a diabetic. my number is 87 - so it should get better with further weight loss.

ApolipoproteinB/ Apilipoprotein A1 - considered a SIGNIFICANT marker for coronary heart disease even in the face of seemingly normal cholesterol like mine hence deciding to get it checked out. Only one data point so far and that is 61.3% which appears to put me at the low end of the risk spectrum.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3597070/

Urea - the bane of my life, its been high for years and it's still high currently siting at 409 compared to the range of 143-339 .I'm told apple cider vinegar should actually help. I have been a bit lax about taking it- time to treat it as a medicine. two tablespoons twice a day .

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Urea - the bane of my life, its been high for years and it's still high currently siting at 409 compared to the range of 143-339 .I'm told apple cider vinegar should actually help. I have been a bit lax about taking it- time to treat it as a medicine. two tablespoons twice a day .

What units are those measured in? Mine are in mmol/l and the range is 2.5 to 7.8.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What units are those measured in? Mine are in mmol/l and the range is 2.5 to 7.8.

Mine are in umol so x 100

http://unitslab.com/node/51

which would be 250 - 780 for you

my range is 143-339 - no clue why my range is so much lower than yours - I wouldn't be considered abnormal under your figures - I'm female 59, UK standards

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine are in umol so x 100

http://unitslab.com/node/51

which would be 250 - 780 for you

my range is 143-339 - no clue why my range is so much lower than yours - I wouldn't be considered abnormal under your figures - I'm female 59, UK standards

I have read all your interesting posts and for the vast majority of the ranges you have quoted, even with the same measurement units, they are different from the ones on my lab reports. My ranges are also for females, UK standards.The ranges haven't changed at all with my age increasing. I haven't time now, but when I find time I will list the ones that are different if you are interested.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read all your interesting posts and for the vast majority of the ranges you have quoted, even with the same measurement units, they are different from the ones on my lab reports. My ranges are also for females, UK standards.The ranges haven't changed at all with my age increasing. I haven't time now, but when I find time I will list the ones that are different if you are interested.

I would be interested to see the differences . I know different labs have different ideas - so its useful to know where the labs themselves are disagreeing as to what is the right range - it would be interesting to see if I'm out of range ( or closer) to whatever other figures you have - the Uric acid one particularly as the range I am given for that is 143-339 umol and I never get close to that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA - On the thyroid forum I read, their view is a that a euthyroid TSH should be under 1, and certainly those taking meds for hypothyroidism are striving for TSH sub 1. The NHS ranges for thyroid are often considered rather high, but I'm no expert.

On a point of detail cortisol levels vary throughout the day, generally being higher in the mornings, tapering off until the evenings and sleep. Tests are therefore best done as close to 8am as possible.

In the US, they use salivary cortisol as a better guide, taking samples at 4 times over a 24 hour period. The NHS doesn't recognise that protocol.

Lab's assays may differ from lab to lab, which is why local ranges can vary, but the variance is usually inconsequential.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA - On the thyroid forum I read, their view is a that a euthyroid TSH should be under 1, and certainly those taking meds for hypothyroidism are striving for TSH sub 1. The NHS ranges for thyroid are often considered rather high, but I'm no expert.

On a point of detail cortisol levels vary throughout the day, generally being higher in the mornings, tapering off until the evenings and sleep. Tests are therefore best done as close to 8am as possible.

In the US, they use salivary cortisol as a better guide, taking samples at 4 times over a 24 hour period. The NHS doesn't recognise that protocol.

Lab's assays may differ from lab to lab, which is why local ranges can vary, but the variance is usually inconsequential.

TSH
Thanks for the info - TSH - Interesting - actually the TSH number has gone up quite a lot recently ( 0.89 Oct, 1.05 Dec, 1.06 Mar, 1.41 highest ever August) - that change has been alongside a dramatic increase in HDL and dramatic reduction in fasting insulin - so overall I'm loath to think the change is a bad thing and I'm no where near a worrying number - but clearly something to keep an eye on !

Cortisol
i wasn't given a recommended range, I'm aware that it responds to a daily rhythm- that's why I noted the time of the test 4 pm - I looked up the daily rhythm data charts to conclude that my level at that time of day was about right.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TSH
Thanks for the info - TSH - Interesting - actually the TSH number has gone up quite a lot recently ( 0.89 Oct, 1.05 Dec, 1.06 Mar, 1.41 highest ever August) - that change has been alongside a dramatic increase in HDL and dramatic reduction in fasting insulin - so overall I'm loath to think the change is a bad thing and I'm no where near a worrying number - but clearly something to keep an eye on !

Cortisol
i wasn't given a recommended range, I'm aware that it responds to a daily rhythm- that's why I noted the time of the test 4 pm - I looked up the daily rhythm data charts to conclude that my level at that time of day was about right.

However, there is nothing to say your cortisol is OK at other times of the day. It's another very blunt measuring instrument. Similarly to the 24 hour urine test.

Hey ho.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, there is nothing to say your cortisol is OK at other times of the day. It's another very blunt measuring instrument. Similarly to the 24 hour urine test.

Hey ho.

All too true. I must admit as an accountant - I count things - the freestyle is a godsend because it was driving me nuts wondering what was going on between readings and my fingers were worn out from the testing . There are doctors who will tell you there is no point in measuring insulin either for the same reasons . In the end absent actually strapping oneself into machines in an intensive care unit all you can do it make the best of a bad job an hope that the data its telling you is leading you along a generally sensible path