One Monitor or Two ?

johnstoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed I was given a FreeStyle Optium monitor. By my local GP surgery
This can be used for test Ketone & Blood Glucose level.

It's an ok monitor, compact, but doesn’t have a data port to download the readings to the PC.

At my first meeting with the Diabetic Nurse at the local hospital, they gave me the OneTouch VerioPro.
I was informed it was best to have two monitors one for testing k's and the other for testing BG.

OneTouch does appear to be a lot better, having a data port allowing the download of reading, and some nice software to go with it.

But now I carry two monitors. Yet more to carry around :-(

What do other T1's use. Do you have one monitor or two?

Ideally I would think one monitor that does it all. Test K's and BG and also has a data port.

iHs

Hi

Personally I dont think that you will need to worry very much over the possibility of getting keytones. Keytones will only happen if you have very high bg levels which dont correct and you start to feel unwell, sick etc. Its handy to have a keytone meter though, just in case.

With regards to carrying 2 meters around with you..... there are times when a bg meter wont work so having another one on you will be a godsend. I'll leave people to work out the common sense in this tip.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
iHs said:
With regards to carrying 2 meters around with you..... there are times when a bg meter wont work so having another one on you will be a godsend. Its also handy to have 2 meters just in case you find that you feel a bit hypo but dont know just how low your bg is then use one meter for hypo times and the other for the rest of your bg tests. I'll leave people to work out the common sense in this tip.

Lol, Have to own up to doing that as well.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
CarbsRok said:
iHs said:
With regards to carrying 2 meters around with you..... there are times when a bg meter wont work so having another one on you will be a godsend. Its also handy to have 2 meters just in case you find that you feel a bit hypo but dont know just how low your bg is then use one meter for hypo times and the other for the rest of your bg tests. I'll leave people to work out the common sense in this tip.

Lol, Have to own up to doing that as well.

Hi,

I do this too.

Just in case the main meter fails and the other meter dedicated to testing for possible hypos.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I'm not plugging Roche, but my little Nano meter has an infrared output port that directly links to my laptop's infrared port without any cables. AccuChek sent me the software FOC and I find it all very convenient as does my DN who also links it up to her PC via the infra red port. I have used several different testing systems but to be totally honest, the AccuChek free back-up service is the best in my experience... :thumbup:

AMBrennan

I was informed it was best to have two monitors one for testing k's and the other for testing BG.
I really can't see why that would be. As far as I am aware, the Optium Xceed is the only meter that can test for ketones (NOT keytones), and I am not aware of any dedicated ketone meters available to the general public (they did have them at the hospital, but they ended up making me test for ketones with my Optium Xceed instead :lol: )

But now I carry two monitors. Yet more to carry around
I don't think you need to carry around the meter used for ketone testing - that's mostly needed when you have high BG (to see if you don't have enough insulin or just misjudged the carbs in the last meal. Insulin deficit can lead to DKA which can be very dangerous; missing one bolus injection will not)

Its also handy to have 2 meters just in case you find that you feel a bit hypo but dont know just how low your bg is then use one meter for hypo times and the other for the rest of your bg tests. I'll leave people to work out the common sense in this tip.
That should be very handy for hiding hypos from the DVLA. Nice to see that these forums can still be counted on for advice on fraud.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
One at home which I carry around when out & about and one which is kept at work, last week I received a free bg/ketone meter after a recommendation from someone on the forum, this meter I'm just going to use for ketone testing when ill as the meter itself is rather big and fiddly to handle.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry two with me to work and if I'm going away. Neither do ketones, but I don't want to have a hypo and find my meter not working.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
SamJB said:
I carry two with me to work and if I'm going away. Neither do ketones, but I don't want to have a hypo and find my meter not working.

Hi Sam,
I'm curious to know why having a meter that's not working has any thing to do with having a hypo.
If you are hypo treat it, you know you are hypo so why test to prove it?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Old Proverb: man with watch thinks he knows time, man with two watches, never quite sure! :lol:
I'm sure it's the same with blood testers.
Personally I use one meter and only use second in emergencies.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess it comes from when I was diagnosed 8 years ago, I had a fit because of a hypo whilst in town because I didn't have my meter on me and wasn't sure whether I was hypo or just anxious; I just told myself I was being anxious. I know it's probably a bit irrational, but that fit scared the hell out of me, made me agoraphobic for fear of having a hypo whilst out of the house. I was like that for a good few years.

I'm no longer anxious about hypos (or agoraphobic in the slightest), I can detect all of them and they're always treated correctly, but I am anxious if I have a hypo and I don't have my meter on me, probably because of the fit all those years ago. As I said, probably a bit daft, but it just puts my mind to rest and I'm not very good at thinking rationally when hypo.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Hello,

I can provide some experience from my 43 years as a T1, and I have for several years had three One Touch UltraEasy meters in use:-

- one in my bedside drawer for home use
- one in my car for when I need a quick check before or during driving (after pulling over to test of course)
- one in my briefcase for when I go to my part-time volunteer work (police support data analyst)

And all of these have stored with them a pack of suitable carbs in case of possible low BG.

I obtained all these meters free of charge, but even if you have to pay for them it is a small price to stay under good control. I have been a long term T1 and have no complications as a result of the well used recommendations on this site of ..... test, test ... and if in doubt .. test again :)

Jon

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[/quote]
That should be very handy for hiding hypos from the DVLA. Nice to see that these forums can still be counted on for advice on fraud.[/quote]

Actually, using one meter dedicated to testing at times when I believe I am heading for a hypo and with a memo attached to the event gives me a concise record of those times. I can experience hypo feelings at 6.9 so need to know what is happening without losing the statistics amongst all the other daily readings. Remedial treatment can be administered long before a true hypo could happen.

l0vaduck

I have super-duper expert meter that gives advice on boluses etc, but is very bulky, which I keep in my bedside drawer, and a plain but compact one which lives in my handbag. I have another more bulky but less all-singing and dancing one that I keep in my desk drawer at work. Although it means that none of my meters have a complete history, I just find it more convenient. It means I don't have to remember to put a meter in my handbag, because the compact one is always in there, or to take a meter to bed with me, because the one in the bedside drawer is always there, and if I ever do manage to leave my handbag at home or miss the meter when changing handbags, I've got one at work just in case!

I always carry a spare when on holiday (not on me all the time but in the hotel or apartment just in case) since I had a meter stolen once by a pickpocket - I think he/she must have thought it was a purse. In Spain one can't buy a meter, apparently, so I had to work on guesswork for the rest of the holiday!

I don't have a meter that tests for ketones. If I suspect ketones I use the urine testing strips and this is extremely rare.

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
The DVLA have never asked to see my meter, is this a new thing that I now have to start worrying about? My licence was just renewed last month

I was going to comment that the DVLA do not ask to see BG monitors, they go by your information and any reports off your doctor but lgwilson beat me to it.

bobismad

I've always tried to have 2 meters, from when I had the ultrasmart meter, I've now got a freestyle insulinx meter, which they say only one is required, the ultrasmart was good with the software as both meters put the results onto one set of reports, I have recently recieved a 2nd insulinx meter from the free option on here, so now I have 2 of them, and when it gets set up hopefully they will overlap the results, (I'll keep you posted).....but the insulinx is the absolutle 'dogs dooberries' in my opinion... I am alost evangelical about it...

Bob

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
l0vaduck said:
I have super-duper expert meter that gives advice on boluses etc, but is very bulky, which I keep in my bedside drawer, and a plain but compact one which lives in my handbag. I have another more bulky but less all-singing and dancing one that I keep in my desk drawer at work. Although it means that none of my meters have a complete history, I just find it more convenient. It means I don't have to remember to put a meter in my handbag, because the compact one is always in there, or to take a meter to bed with me, because the one in the bedside drawer is always there, and if I ever do manage to leave my handbag at home or miss the meter when changing handbags, I've got one at work just in case!

I always carry a spare when on holiday (not on me all the time but in the hotel or apartment just in case) since I had a meter stolen once by a pickpocket - I think he/she must have thought it was a purse. In Spain one can't buy a meter, apparently, so I had to work on guesswork for the rest of the holiday!

I don't have a meter that tests for ketones. If I suspect ketones I use the urine testing strips and this is extremely rare.

I read that as " a supper-duper expert meter that gives advice on blouses etc" That would be something, a meter that gives fashion tips :D

Lorna