One month in

melissa1743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

I am now one month in from my diagnosis.

Finally got to the diabetic clinic and felt very much like a number and not an individual. Felt the nurse was just reading a script that I dare not interupt. I was shocked she said not to test my blood sugar and to have one carb free meal a day. Well, I am being having almost all carb free meals and testing my blood sugar (bought a kit) so I can learn how my body reacts to certain foods. So not sure I take seriously much else she said either.

Anyway, for the past month I have been as low carb as possible - no bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no cakes, no biscuits, no chocolate, no fizzy drinks, no added sugar, no fruit juice or processed food. I can't quite believe I have managed it without cheating, but I have (just got to manage the rest of my life now). But two questions if I may.

1. I found I could not tolerate my increase in dairy products, probably due to having no gall bladder. I tried to increase yogurt, butter and cheese but it made me unwell. And with the exception of lactose free milk, I dislike any other lactose free dairy items. Can I ask for advice in increasing the fat content of my diet that is non dairy.

2, I am very overweight. I cannot believe I have not lost weight this past month. I was a carb junky and would eat chocolate bars galore, and so I expected my weight to drop. Most meals have been salad and "good" vegetables and meat/fish/chicken - although been having bacon and eggs some mornings.

My blood sugar readings have been between 6 and 9, although yet to see a pattern....except I ate one banana and it shot up, so no more bananas for me!

Can anyne advise me on what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @melissa1743
well done on your changes to your routine !
all I would say is to be kind to yourself -- a month is not really very long ( I know it can seem it )
44 years type 1 here :eek:

your numbers seem on the positive side.

hopefully some other members will be along with some support ( Saturday nights can be a bit quiet )

all the best !!

Hotpepper20000

Wow that's fantastic commitment just one one month in.
To asnswer your question on how to up the fat intake with out dairy. This is what I do.
I cook chicken with the skin on And choose other cuts of meat that are fattier.
I eat olives, avocado, and canned meats such as tuna with oil and salmon. I wouldn't worry too much about increasing your fat intake too much if your not hungry. It takes a while to find the balance that works for you.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @melissa1743

Well making such a great start and I don't think you're doing anything wrong - sounds like your commitment is already paying off in terms of your sugar levels. Agree with @Hotpepper20000 on ways to add in non-dairy fats.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight loss just yet - getting blood glucose under control should be the priority, and then you can tweak diet and exercise to get your weight where you want it. You may find the weight starts coming down anyway as your body adapts to your new way of eating.

It can be easy to start comparing your results to those of others and worrying if weight loss or blood sugar reduction is not as fast as others posting here, but we're all different so I suggest doing what feels right for you and the results will come in their own time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

I am now one month in from my diagnosis.

Finally got to the diabetic clinic and felt very much like a number and not an individual. Felt the nurse was just reading a script that I dare not interupt. I was shocked she said not to test my blood sugar and to have one carb free meal a day. Well, I am being having almost all carb free meals and testing my blood sugar (bought a kit) so I can learn how my body reacts to certain foods. So not sure I take seriously much else she said either.

Anyway, for the past month I have been as low carb as possible - no bread, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no cakes, no biscuits, no chocolate, no fizzy drinks, no added sugar, no fruit juice or processed food. I can't quite believe I have managed it without cheating, but I have (just got to manage the rest of my life now). But two questions if I may.

1. I found I could not tolerate my increase in dairy products, probably due to having no gall bladder. I tried to increase yogurt, butter and cheese but it made me unwell. And with the exception of lactose free milk, I dislike any other lactose free dairy items. Can I ask for advice in increasing the fat content of my diet that is non dairy.

2, I am very overweight. I cannot believe I have not lost weight this past month. I was a carb junky and would eat chocolate bars galore, and so I expected my weight to drop. Most meals have been salad and "good" vegetables and meat/fish/chicken - although been having bacon and eggs some mornings.

My blood sugar readings have been between 6 and 9, although yet to see a pattern....except I ate one banana and it shot up, so no more bananas for me!

Can anyne advise me on what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all, in fact you are doing everything right. This is a long journey, as people here say, its a marathon, not a sprint. Your blood sugar levels are coming down and this is the most important thing.

Oily fish is a good way of eating more fat, also eggs, olive oil, nuts, avocado. I eat at least 3 small tins of salmon each week at lunch times with salad or just cherry toms, and I eat loads of eggs. You will find a way that suits you and your body. There is no need to go overboard with fats, just enough to keep up the energy levels and stop the hunger.