One of those days

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had my usual lunch, nice pre mel reading, after 2 hours in the 15s, put in another 3 units, still there an hour later, another 2 units. Now 6 hours since I ate and down to 4.9 and feel a bit **** tbh. Frustrating when you don't know why. Did think pump problem but would have expected a raised level still. as I had no spare sets,pen in work all I could do was re prime the tubing I had before putting the extra 2 units in. since being home changed the lot.
Could of been some air in the tubing, loose cannula so the insulin pooled just below the skin,poor absorbtion site. happy to say this is a rarity but still a pita.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Ive had a few of those days too at times but tend to take it all in my stride and wait to see if a pattern starts and if it does, then think about changing basal rates or cheat a bit and do tbr or alter bolus. Sometimes for me, the bg change is flash in the pan and just lasts for a week and then changes again but sometimes its permanent for a while.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, not changed anything yet. Will have same for lunch tomoz and will see if it was a pump/tube/cannula malfunction. If not, lunch time basal test on wed.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a similar day. 7.3 before lunch, 4 hours after 10.6 didn't correct as I was about to drive but I was a bit unsure why. Forgot to correct at home so didn't test again till dinner, 7 hours after lunch and BG was 5.5, perfect but dropped for no reason! Now, 1 hours post dinner I'm 3.8. What the hell!

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had my usual lunch, nice pre mel reading, after 2 hours in the 15s, put in another 3 units, still there an hour later, another 2 units. Now 6 hours since I ate and down to 4.9 and feel a bit **** tbh. Frustrating when you don't know why. Did think pump problem but would have expected a raised level still. as I had no spare sets,pen in work all I could do was re prime the tubing I had before putting the extra 2 units in. since being home changed the lot.
Could of been some air in the tubing, loose cannula so the insulin pooled just below the skin,poor absorbtion site. happy to say this is a rarity but still a pita.

I have a similar problem – When you pump in the extra insulin does it ever ‘catch up’ with you? It sometimes does with me – I eat carbs, bolus say 10 units as normal & nothing happens - bloods go sky high & I end up pumping another ten units over the next few hours to try & bring things back on an even keel. Then three hours or so later, everything comes crashing down & I have to stuff carbs in to avoid a hypo. Other times the extra insulin just seems to disappear. Where does it go?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**** having days like this. Don't think it helped being out in the cold more today, coming home to a cosy house. Bit like having a hot bath making the body absorb insulin better.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's so cold there is frost on the inside of my windows. Highly unlikely in my case!

I know why mine is, I carb counted for a large dinner. Weighed it all out do I know it was correct. But it was 3 times my average carb content so therefore 3 times as much insulin. So I'm thinking mine is a honeymoon period issue. Nice to see the old pancreas has still got some life in it yet haha

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You say it was your usual lunch - are you sure there wasn't extra protein or anything that might have caused the delayed spike? I've only just learned about the impact of protein since starting on the pump. I guess it's effects were absorbed by huge amounts of insulin when on mdi!! Hope you get to the bottom of it...

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, definately not mis calculated carbs/protein combo. Usually I'm 7~8 after and 4.5~5.5 before next meal. since I've been home changed sets and was 5.4 2 hours after tea and now at 6.3 coming up to bed time ~ perfect.
Am going to have same tomoz, will report back.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume the cannula wasn't kinked when you changed it? Do you know if this happens when, for example, it's the day you're due to change your set (as though it's had enough)?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume the cannula wasn't kinked when you changed it? Do you know if this happens when, for example, it's the day you're due to change your set (as though it's had enough)?[/quote
no, didn't notice a kink,
I have found its alot less potent after 4 days, so routinely change everything after 3 days. I did last do a change sat pm so not really due one till tue pm.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Must be something in the air - I woke up to 13.0 this morning. Not impressed.

:mad:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Defo jinxed - 15.2 after posting how wonderful my BSs had been for a while!!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh ******, was going to update on my day don't think I should now lol, hope you all managed better readings afterwards, and feel better

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Check the lueur lock is tight to the pump. 3 times in recent months (3rd time today) that somehow at 6pm it was working loose. After previous 2 instances I check the lock to pump is tight every morning whenI get dressed, I checked it this morning.

Been pumping 3 years and never had this problem till now. 99% of time my levels are below 7.. So when my levels have gone up to 9 then the first thing is to look for seepage around sticky plaster on set, 2nd thing is the lueur lock.

Also you do need, if you use rapid d's to tap the tube connectors when priming, or to take the tube each side of the connectors and give sharp tugs whilst insulin is actually being primed through. You will be amazed how many bubbles travel from the connector to the cannula if you do this.

Do however check your lueur especially if you wear the pump sideways or loose in pockets etc, as when the lueur is even slightly imperfectly attached to pump you can get problems.