One week in where should I be?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8.1 2 hours after dinner tonight compared to 22.2 6 days ago!! Obviously gliclazide is doing its job but diet and exercise must be having an impact surely! Had a healthy full English tonight as well!! Thanks for the advice and comments, very helpful!
The diet will be doing the main work, the glicazide is likely to be very secondary to that. If you are not eating carbs, then you are not getting either sugar or insulin spikes ..Metformin is designed to deal with both of those, so its probably simply duplicates the effort.

Sawds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat some carbs still, not completely killing them off from my diet, for example I still have toast and wheatabix for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch, I've just cut the high sugar content out of the rest of my diet and try not to eat rice and pasta.

Bizarrely played hockey yesterday and spiked hugely from 6.1 before to 15.6 after which spooked me! It was back down to 5.1 and hour later though so not packing it in just yet, after all exercise is good for you....an hour after that 5.1 I was verging on hypoing for the first time at 3.8 but dealt with it as had them pre-diagnosis!

Levelling between 5 & 6.4 (fasting) today and have done for the last 3. Think I'm getting the hang of how this works now!

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed about 3 and a half years ago, with a fasting bg level of 19mmol and it took me about six months for my levels to really start coming down. metformin on its own didn't work for me, but when i started a low carb diet, that did the trick, and coming off metformin then hardly made any difference. you're a lot younger than me, so you probably have a faster metabolism, but i think it sounds like you're doing really well in terms of time. and i would definitely agree about it being a marathon, not a sprint.

Sawds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: consistently now between 4.5 & 7, even 2 hours after a meal and have been for 7 days. My fasting seems to be the highest reading I get each day and this seems strange to me. Have had the odd one or two at about 7.3ish 2 hours after an evening meal but pretty confident that my diet and exercise changes (although minimal) are doing the trick and will continue to do so. Pasta, rice, potatoes and most bread is gone from my diet as well as the obvious and it’s amazing what you can still eat. I’m pretty confident that I can maintain this consistency now and if anything I see this silly disease as a good way of keeping healthy rather than a burden. I will reverse this!

Sawds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had an HBA1C for just under a month after diagnosis and I have gone from 97 to 80 which I’m very pleased with. I know it’s usually done over 3 months but if I keep on at this level then I’m going to be out of the diabetic range within 3 months. Happy with that because this obviously includes 2 months of prediagnosis levels.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Sawds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve not done anything drastic, have a better diet now that’s all. I was always active anyway and never really overweight so reducing rice, bread, pasta and potatoes is all I have really done along with eating more vegetables. I still have one takeaway each week and try to coincide that with a Saturday as that is when I have hockey matches so naturally my levels are lower anyway through high intensity competitive sport.

It’s all about balance I have come to learn quite quickly and I am solidly between 4 & 7 when I test 4 times a day with very few lower or higher readings with these only ever being a couple of points here and there. Feel I’m doing quite well and fully aware I have this for the long haul but want to be within non diabetic levels as soon as possible (not forcing it as by doing that it would just stress me out).

Exercise, good diet and less stress is how this works and quite frankly, as I’ve said before, all I’ve really had to change is diet which can never be a bad thing. I eat a more natural diet than the western diet that seems to be the cause of the increase in this condition. I don’t feel angry to have this, in someways I actually feel quite relieved to have something that in a strange way has made me fitter than I have been in about 16 years. I’m only 34 and so would like to reach my balance as quickly as possible so I can sustain it for as long as possible.