One year on :-)

suzie_girl

I am now diagnoses type 2 for a year, just went to have my checks - I must be mental to have them at Christmas!

Anyhoo I am on 40, is that 5.8% or something. Does that mean my blood sugar averages like 7.1 if I read it on my meter?

Anyhoo she thought I could drop a metformin, I have 590mg morning and night, I don't personally think I should, she said we allow diabetics to be up to some crazy number or another, but I'm only 38 and I don't want to go blind and get footrot so I said nah you're ok. If it goes lower I will think about this but I want to have a 'normal' person reading not 'good for a diabetic'

I also have lost a stone and a half she said, its not really fat I have a thing called lympheodema so its fluid I've lost but I've been working hard in that I have to do this really painful massage so I'm happy that's going well.

I'm not sure how good that reading is but I do have the odd cake if I've done such a hard workout my bs is like 4.5 so generally I feel happy.

In the year since I've been diagnosed I have never felt so well in myself and I'd been exhausted for a long time, so I want to thank all of you for your wonderful support and advice. I was lost when I came in here but I feel calm and in control thanks to your help.

So happy Christmas and thankyou so much, you all make a big difference to people's lives so good on you xx

Fraddycat

Well done Suzie, sounds like your hard work paid off!! If your metformin doesn't give you nasty side effects then there is no harm in staying on it, I understand it gives you some protection from heart disease also. Metformin will only reduce your BGs by about 1 mml so I think most of the hard work has been done by you and not the tablets, give yourself a pat on the back :D