Ongoing Vision Problems

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This isn't about retinopathy. My hospital scan last year was completely clear and every time I've set foot in the opticians this year they've taken some photos just to be assured there is nothing wrong - all been clear.

Diagnosed last year and in the run up my usual short-sightedness got a lot worse. Once I'd started on insulin my eyes actually went to 20:20 vision for a couple of weeks and then slowly returned back to being short-sighted. I had a run of hba1c results of between 48-51 so it seemed everything had settled and I went back to the optician. Left eye broadly back to where it had been for the previous 20 years, but right eye prescription a whole 1.5 points 'better'.

So they gave me some new contact lenses. Popped them in and thought someone had screwed up because right eye couldn't read anything across the room. Went back to opticians and it looked like right eye had broadly gone back to my pre-diabetic prescription. Was advised to leave it 2 more months and then come back again.

Saw consultant a few weeks ago (hba1c = 49) and she said there was no diabetic reason why my prescription in my right eye would move. So back to opticians. Trouble is I've been in 3 more times now (they are very accommodating) and my right eye is refusing to stabilise. Its not just the near / far sight, but also astigmatism which seems to change every time they check. I'm nearly a year post diagnosis so surely it should all be settling down by now???

Dark Horse

Is it possible you might have dry eyes? The integrity of tear film can affect visual acuity. Might be worth trialling artificial tears to see if they help.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it possible you might have dry eyes? The integrity of tear film can affect visual acuity. Might be worth trialling artificial tears to see if they help.
I do! With drops to help. But I've had dry eyes for years and right now they aren't too bad (per opticians tests)