op

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What's the op? Pros short waiting times, consultant of your choice, nice food, room.to yourself. Cons expensive, usually same consultants do the same job in NHS though waiting times are longer etc. Also private hospitals don't 'do' emergencies so if anything goes wrong it's off to the NHS with you!

qonkerss

What's the op? Pros short waiting times, consultant of your choice, nice food, room.to yourself. Cons expensive, usually same consultants do the same job in NHS though waiting times are longer etc. Also private hospitals don't 'do' emergencies so if anything goes wrong it's off to the NHS with you!

D

Deleted member 308541

what is the advantage
going to a local hospital for an op

or going private
how much if going private
ta

Here's an example, a cataract operation in a public hospital day surgery will be free, but there may be a waiting list of 18 months.

A cataract operation on one eye in a private hospital day surgery will cost $3250.00 approx, but the waiting time after seeing the ophthalmologist will be longer than a couple of weeks before it's done.

I had laser surgery done 18 months ago, that the ophthalmologist basically did it on the spot after the prep work was done. That cost me $1000.00 for what is know as a Yag Laser Capsulotomy.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've had a few private ops. They can be expensive but usually can be done very quickly. Find a consultant who does both NHS and private work. The good thing about private is that you are in control, you have your own room and the food is better. Yes, note the possible problem with emergencies so if you do private, preferably ensure an NHS hospital is nearby and where the surgeon also works.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Pay for consultant that works private and NHS.
Pay for appointment and ask to be put back thru nhs...

Depends on your op though.
For cancer you should get your appt on NHS within 2 weeks to be evaluated.

My recent hand op would have been about 36 week wait. Paid £250 for appt. back thru nhs and done and dusted within 4 weeks back thru nhs. Cost would have been £2-3,000 private and it really did not necessitate in a private room etc.

Gastric probs 5 years ago. Paid for private appt. £200. Appt was 2 weeks to wait. 18 weeks on nhs. Rushed back thru nhs. All checks and diagnosis with 4 weeks. Never found out cost of what all the costs would have been but guess they would have been £6000 ish. I had a lot of tests and xrays.

Cancer was immediate thru nhs.

Depends where you live and what op you are looking at..

dipsydo

I have had two private ops - both new hips and an advantage for me was having a private room as I do not sleep well and need to listen to a radio to get to sleep. For the most recent hip ( last year ) when I could not walk without intensive pain and my GP would not put me forward to be even seen by the surgeon . I felt I had no option and went private as I was in a position that I could and could not stand making a complaint about the GP .

A thing to consider is that if anything goes wrong is that the emergency cover is private hospital is not extensive and in the worst outcome may not get compensation as there may not any relevant insurance of the private hospital / surgeon so need to pick your surgeon/ hospital carefully - I went a hospital which specialized in orthopedics . If you self fund you can get quotes of how much the operation will cost and usually is a fixed fee but you have to add on the cost of the consultant and the anesthesiologist . My second operation cost approx £12,000 in total .

I think NHS are fine for emergencies and cancer but if you want help for something not seen as time critical you have to wait or consider the private options.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yes, interesting programme!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was indeed an interesting programme, @catapillar .

I've had surgery across both environments and have always vowed I would avoid anything major privately, for some of the stuff highlighted last night, but that's just me.

Similarly, where possible, I'd only have anything on my face, privately. That's really only on the basis of the time spent, although my experience of that to date was I ended up having more done than would ever have been agrees on the NHS. (It wasn't a facelift, honest!)