Orange Almond Cake

sw600

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made this excellent cake, but substituted the sugar 1:1 for erythritol. Took slightly longer to cook (have made it before with sugar). I can honestly say in 4 months of doing this low-carb thing that this is the first 'substitute' baked good I've made where it actually is just as good as the carb version (and not some keto blogger trying desperately to convince themselves it doesn't taste of cardboard).

Take out the 200g of sugar, replace with 200g of erythritol (or xylitol I guess). I didn't make the sugary whipped cream either.

NB it has two oranges in it but you actually lose a lot of the juice when steaming in the microwave. You whizz up the whole thing - flesh, pith, skin and all, so that's not too carby I don't think, plenty of fibre. (I couldn't find any info on how many carbs in an entire orange, including all the bits you don't usually eat.)

Reactions: saky and EllieM

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to make this quite a lot in the early days, it’s a lovely cake but very rich I could only eat a sliver at a time, used to end up giving most of it away as it doesn’t keep well. But like I say a lovely cake

Reactions: saky and EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make the sugar version, and that froze well so I imagine this lc version would too, perhaps in slices separated by baking paper?

Although I dread to think of the cost of 200g of sweeteners and some could cause laxative problems....
Even so I'm drooling !

Reactions: EllieM

sw600

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make the sugar version, and that froze well so I imagine this lc version would too, perhaps in slices separated by baking paper?

Although I dread to think of the cost of 200g of sweeteners and some could cause laxative problems....
Even so I'm drooling !
Luckily no problems at the other end today :D

Erythritol is £6.99/kg from amazon so £1.40 worth in that cake. The most expensive bit is the 5 eggs! I know what you mean though, I have spent a small fortune on various substitute/alternative bags of stuff (vital wheat gluten, coconut flour, erythritol, etc etc) to investigate making low-carb things, and none of it is as cheap as wheat flour or white sugar.

D

Deleted member 475901

I have a similar recipe, designed as keto. And I had a large box of organic oranges from crowdfarming so boiled and whizzed then froze some of them for this recipe.

Reactions: Speedbird