overnight access issue

maxandmatty2

hello
not sure how to keep this brief but will try.
going through a messy divorce and custody battle with type 1 diabetic husband. his long term poor control led to aggressive mood swings. he is now denying both diabetic complications and aggression.
consultants report today has stated that his hba1c level was 12.5 and he has poor control. he has had several hypos in front of children and overnight. he has also had ketoacidosis and retinopathy with laser eye treatments.
we had a very biased social worker do a report who has stated that my depression is more of an issue than his diabetes, even though he has had diabetes for 22 years.
my main issue that i want advice on please is i have asked for overnight access to children (6 with autism and 5) to be at his parents address but he wants to be alone overnight with them. i am worried about them being safe if daddy has a fit again

elainechi

i wouldn.t be happy with him having the kids at that age overnight on his own....messy divorce maybe but the parents idea is good.... i don.t suppose you could approach his parents and ask for their support in this matter... 5 & 6 cannot look after themselves and it would be good for the grandparents to have quality time with kids

good luck x.

i

maxandmatty2

thankyou for your feedback.
the parents are unfortunately refusing to talk to me at moment and after years of feeling sorry for the husband and treating him like a child are now on his side and denying his health is an issue.
off to see my solicitor today so will post update later.

Grazer

To be honest, this is a forum designed to help people with their diabetes, not to help non-diabetics with custody issues regarding their diabetic partner. Don't really think we can or should give judgement here.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The social worker's only concern is the children.
When Court issues come up, again it is in the children's interest only.

All you can do is, when the children are with you, give them love and care which they need.

You may not like or agree with the systems. However there is nothing you can do except like I said, "when the children are with you give them love and care"

Roy.