Overnight troubles

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice on what to try here. I'm currently 27 weeks.

Every time I eat in the evening, I get my BG levels climbing and not wanting to come down. I take correction after correction, but they will firmly stick at 8-10. If I go to bed at that level, I will wake up at 6-7 at least.

I have done fasting tests and my basal is keeping me nice and steady throughout the evening and night, but even with fasting that puts me at a steady 6.

Obviously as I spend a third of my day asleep the better I can get overnight, the better my average will be, so I really want to be a steady 4-5 overnight if possible.

I've adjusted my evening meal settings significantly AND my correction ratios for the evening period but it just seems like insulin doesn't do anything for me between around 6pm and midnight.

Is there anything else I can try? Or should I just keeping upping the volume?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ArtemisBow

I had highs after my evening meal in late pregnancy. I increased my basal (the amount varied per hour and I did it gradually) also had to almost triple my ratio for the evening meal by the last few weeks (again gradually).

If it was me, I'd increase my ratio first.

Edited to add that my consultant impressed on me just how much some ladies' insulin needs increased, so I was ok about gradually increasing things as I knew it was normal.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I've also got the same issue at the minute and have just been slightly altering basal rates and upping my bolus for evening meal, it's so annoying when you want it to come down I was told to make an adjustment and leave it like that 48 hours so it has 2 goes at working if that makes sense, obviously testing lots is the way to find out, I had a day of sticking around 10.0 yesterday no matter what I did which was so frustrating but I'm just trying to go with the flow lol
As Azure said I would increase ratio first and see how you get on :)

Reactions: 2 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks ladies - I expected I might need different ratios at different times of day, but I'm already at double in the evenings and it's still not coming down enough. Good to know others are having to go triple and it's not just me. Going to increase again tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully bub can hang in there while I get it sorted - it's so frustrating when you have the high levels and you didn't even eat anything naughty!

Reactions: 4 people