Ozempic or Insulin, do you take either?

Lakeslover

Despite a low carb diet over the last year my HbA1c has increased from 44 to 92. I think this started after I had Covid and a Covid vaccination. I wear a libre and could see an increase although the libre indication was that it would be around 73.

My diabetic nurse has said I’m running out of tablet treatment options (I’m already on gliclazide and Sitagliptin and have stopped Metformin because of side effects). two years ago she was talking about adding Olympic before I managed to get to 44 with a low carb diet.

however Ozempic is quoted as having diarrhoea as a side effect, and I never want to go back to the issues I had with Metformin.

would you opt for ozempic or go to insulin? Any reasons for either? What side effects or restrictions on your life do you have?

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
I am unfamiliar with the testing protocols in your country (I’m Canadian) but what other testing has been done? Have you been tested for type one, or LADA? Have you had a C Peptide test (for insulin levels)? How low carb was your diet? You may have to go zero carb or very low carb (less than ten grams) to see results.
I am very sensitive to carbs and have gone zero carb…eating meat, eggs, some dairy and an occasional pecan (that’s my treat). I am having further testing to nail down exactly why as I don’t fall under the criterion for type two. My increased glucose was attributed to the estrogen blocker Tamoxifen. It now appears controlled but will get more testing g tomorrow after my doctor visit.
I wish you well…

Lakeslover

It’s very hard to get testing here. On overage I’m on 20g carbs a day eating only 2 meals a day. That got me down to 44 last year…..but not now.
interesting what you say about tamoxifen. I had been on it for 10 years but it was stopped last May.

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
The tamoxifen thing annoyed me to no end. My research showed (published studies)a large increase in type two in older women (65+) and it’s NOT on their inserts. I’ve been off it for six months, almost, so the retesting will be interesting.
I used to intermittently fast, no breakfast, but found my blood sugar was better when I ate some fat and protein in the morning….so yes a bit of burger and a few slices of cold butter for me. That seriously is so foreign to me but it works!

With your low carb diet there should be concerns with your increased A1C and 5th should be testing for antibodies (I believe it’s the GADA test) and your blood insulin levels (Cpeptide test) to check for changes in your diagnosis.
best of luck!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ozempic, has had very good clinical results.
Before the recent clamour of usage, it was used primarily for those struggling with control of blood glucose levels and rising hba1c levels. For those who couldn't go low carb, or health issues or other digestive issues.
There are some who have side effects but many more that don't. For example, you digest metformin, but inject Ozempic.
The reason for insulin should be last resort and after tests, to see why you are still going higher.
The Sitagliptin suggests insulin resistance and because of that, the initial first phase insulin response is causing the higher than normal spikes for the low carb.
You may try going even lower carb or keto to try and help with this. Are you taking readings pre meal and two hours after, to see what your food is doing to your blood glucose levels?
If you are not satisfied with your GP or your dsn, you could ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

Take care.

Michael214

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Age 73 and have been a Type II diabetic since my mid 40s and found over the years that all the oral medication was ineffective or had side-effects and although I am Type II within the last three years I have shed all that and I’m just taking insulin and a balance carb diet. I find I am okay on this, I believe some people out there can be neurotic and I said that with respect with regards to looking at numbers at the end of the day you’ve got to live and participate in a regime that suits you. I found a Ozempic after 24 hours, gave me 24 hours of diarrhoea And couldn’t accept it and all these people that want weight loss and are prepared to accept the side-effects. Good luck to them but my comments will be you have to live. I’ll have to end up with a regime that suits you and if this means that your HBRC is slightly higher then so be it

Pegleg 1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard that Ozempic can cause tumours which is rarely mentioned in the side effects. Have any studies been done on these or does anyone know more about the serious side effects of the drug?

Polarjem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was put on ozempiclast year to help with my diabetes which had started to read high, it gave me very bad diarrhoea, going to the loo eight times a day, lost 25kg in 3 months, now on insulin and creon as my pancreas has been damaged.

richling

Canadian and male, 5'10. Been identified as LADA (I was tested and it came back inconclusive type 1/2, my whole family on dad's side was diabetic, grandfather started taking insulin in the mid 1920's, he passed away due to shortage during the war in Europe in 1944), I've been diabetic for over 20years on insulin and tablets. Before Christmas, my new DR. prescribed Ozempic for me, After one month of using OZ I bailed, I couldn't handle the side affects. I was constipated (for the past 20 yrs I normally had very loose stool and went frequently every morning so this was a big surprise for me), but suddenly felt nauseous most of the time on OZ, kind of like the morning after a massive New Years party, and I had sulphur tasting burps, OZ caused me to not want to eat or even drink alcohol. Within one month after starting OZ I lost 30 pounds. I reduced my meal time insulin 30 units/day down to 2 and my sugars started to level out, But I couldn't live like that so we quit OZ. No longer on OZ now for 2 months and I've lost another 5 pounds, not very hungry for breakfast, my stool is back to a normal human stool - solid and regular. And my sugars seem to behave like a normal persons. It's almost like my short stint with OZ has reset my body systems all around. My only problem seems that with the weight loss, was also loss of a bit of muscle mass, along with some energy levels. I was 200lbs before OZ and now I'm 160. Prior, I had some chest pains walking dog, and would struggle to walk a full round of golf. With the loss of weight, I now can wash the floors without breaking into a sweat and my heart doctor has given me the all clear. It would seem that my weight loss has been a big part of my body change including my diabetes surprise surprise. I was prescribed Ozempic for diabetes not weight loss.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EllieM

Lakeslover

Ozempic, has had very good clinical results.
Before the recent clamour of usage, it was used primarily for those struggling with control of blood glucose levels and rising hba1c levels. For those who couldn't go low carb, or health issues or other digestive issues.
There are some who have side effects but many more that don't. For example, you digest metformin, but inject Ozempic.
The reason for insulin should be last resort and after tests, to see why you are still going higher.
The Sitagliptin suggests insulin resistance and because of that, the initial first phase insulin response is causing the higher than normal spikes for the low carb.
You may try going even lower carb or keto to try and help with this. Are you taking readings pre meal and two hours after, to see what your food is doing to your blood glucose levels?
If you are not satisfied with your GP or your dsn, you could ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.

Take care.
Yes, I wear the libre so can see easily what is happening. I get dawn phenomenon, takes ages for that to go down, no big spikes after meals but rarely drop below a blood sugar of 10. So after a low carb meal last night (chicken, cauliflower, creme fraiche, spices, 1/2 small onion, small handful of flaked almonds) pre meal 10.5, I was at 12.6 3 hours later when I went to bed, by 7 this morning I was 16, slowly falling until now at 1 it is 11.7. It seems to be it’s the base level which is wrong, so an additional med to lower this and it should be fine.

CD11

I am 5 weeks in on ozempic. I'm giving it until the end of April at my next appointment with the dr. So far I'm still on the starter dose of .25, I'm scared to go up because of feeling nauseous and so many things I eat hurting my stomach. No diarrhea tho, everything in that department is going ok. I refuse to keep going if these feelings dont pass in the next month. My A1C before starting was 7.4, and I stopped taking one of my meds at start, so far I'm reading a bit lower than I was before. Down 4lbs, but taking mostly for my blood sugar, not weight loss. I like the once a week injection and if I can tolerate then I hope to also come off my metformin.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I started ozempic around March I think last year. I started on the small dose and worked up to the full dose of 1mg. My blood sugar was 119 in Dec 21 so along with ozempic I also started Pioglitazone and in Dec 2022 my blood sugar had come down to 46. I had also lost over a stone in weight. However I have had nausea and vomiting using this, I’ve had to have days off work as I’ve felt so unwell. My consultant was happy for me to go back to half the dose and so far it’s been ok. I do take other diabetic meds as well.