Ozempic Shortage

midiman

Hi, I was prescribed Ozempic in Aug 2023 and I have been unable to get it until Feb 2023.
When I did manage to get some, all I could get were 2 pens of 0.25

Now, my Pharmacy can't get any more, but they do have 1MG in stock.

The problem is that my GP will not allow me to go from 0.25 to 1MG.

I have two weeks of 0.25 remaining and then that's it.

My GP has said to phone all the Pharmacies up to see if they can get any.

This is terrible because I need it to bring my levels down and help with my Glucose Control while waiting for an operation. And they want me to be fit enough for it by May/Jun/Jul.

What can I do?

Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to read about your struggles.
AS you mention there has been a shortage of GLP-1 drugs for some time and the advice suggests this will be ongoing for some time.
Diabetes UK (the charity, not the site associated with this forum), have issued a statement: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about-u...ly-issues-drugs-people-living-type-2-diabetes

I think the key point for you is
  • Where alternative treatments need to be considered, discuss and agree a new management plan with those people affected.
I appreciate this means hassling your GP again..
If you need assistance, the Diabetes UK helpline (0345123 2399) may be able to provide more guidance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @midiman , I'll tag @Rachox , as she has had some experience with shortages, but I believe is using something else at the moment.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @AndBreathe , hi @midiman . I was on Victoza injections (liraglutide another GLP 1 med) which became unavailable just after Xmas. If you look at the link that @In Response posted, I did what it suggests and got switched to Rybelsus which is semaglutide (the same drug as Ozempic) in tablet form.

midiman

Thanks for the tag @AndBreathe , hi @midiman . I was on Victoza injections (liraglutide another GLP 1 med) which became unavailable just after Xmas. If you look at the link that @In Response posted, I did what it suggests and got switched to Rybelsus which is semaglutide (the same drug as Ozempic) in tablet form.
Hi Rachox,
I don't think that my GP or Endos will do that at this moment in time. They are having difficulty getting the medication.
It is really annoying because I can get 1MG but not 0.25 or 0.5.

Thanks
Lee

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rachox,
I don't think that my GP or Endos will do that at this moment in time. They are having difficulty getting the medication.
It is really annoying because I can get 1MG but not 0.25 or 0.5.

Thanks
Lee
Indeed the injections are hard to get at the moment but there are no problems getting Rybelsus (semaglutide) tablets.