Ozrmoic Victoza shortage

Ottermoon

I’ve read the news stories and forum postings about the shortage and how to handle it.

I’m wondering where all the meds are actually going? How does NHS actually decide which of us patients get our prescriptions filled, and which of us must go without?

I had a heart attack May 22, so I was about to be switched to Ozemoic from Victoza. Couldn’t get Ozempic and then couldn’t get Victoza. I’m now taking four times as many tablets and can’t get my blood glucose down to where it was.

Are there any forum members who ARE getting their prescriptions for those meds filled? Or are all patients in the UK out of luck?

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pharmaceutical companies are restricting Ozempic, as they can now sell it as a weight loss drug. typically at 6 times the price. as far as i'm aware Victoza is currently the subject of a law suit, due to bad side effects that people were not made aware of.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible some of your heart meds are contributing to your higher BG readings too.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve read the news stories and forum postings about the shortage and how to handle it.

I’m wondering where all the meds are actually going? How does NHS actually decide which of us patients get our prescriptions filled, and which of us must go without?

I had a heart attack May 22, so I was about to be switched to Ozemoic from Victoza. Couldn’t get Ozempic and then couldn’t get Victoza. I’m now taking four times as many tablets and can’t get my blood glucose down to where it was.

Are there any forum members who ARE getting their prescriptions for those meds filled? Or are all patients in the UK out of luck?
It also depends on whether the NHS can obtain the drug from the manufacturers in the first place. As others have said, some drugs are being sold much more profitably on the private weightloss market. It seems that a lot of money is being made by the manufacturers, and, even if available, the cost is now higher than health service budgets could reasonably meet.

If the weightloss demand for Ozempic continues I can't see the situation changing soon.

Ottermoon

Hi all. What I am interested in is whether anyone is currently able to have their prescriptions filled, either for Victoza or Ozempic. Is anyone getting these meds? Or are we all having to do without?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. What I am interested in is whether anyone is currently able to have their prescriptions filled, either for Victoza or Ozempic. Is anyone getting these meds? Or are we all having to do without?
My independent pharmacy supplied two pens then said they they couldn’t get any more Victoza, possibly til next year! They still owe me some. In the end I went to a big Boots, they had a limited supply, so my GP sent a new prescription there and again they supplied me with two, but owe me more. Boots said they are getting limitied supplies so I’m just hoping they get more for me before this lot runs out.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I waited 7 weeks for my last ozempic script to be filled and it doesn't look as if I'm getting the new script done any time soon

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on Trulicity (another of the same group), last year there was difficulty in getting the 3 and 4.5mg pens for a couple of months, but (touch wood) no problems since

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the moment these meds are not licenced for use by T1D. This is abou to change, so there will soon be even more 'mouths to feed'.
Current estimates show that the shortage of these for medical use will stretch beyond Q1 2024 and the queue is growing daily. New applications are clamouring to gain access to these meds, such as alcohol adddiction, drug addiction, ADHD treatment, Parkinsons and Alzheimers, and even some cancers seem to benefit from its use. diabetes is steadinly dropping down the queue.

You are more likely to get Ozempic (as Wegovy) quicker by signing up to WeightWatchers or joining the Walgreen subscription service since these outfits have purchased priority supply direct from the manufacturer.