pain

JohnChud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am 87 and Have had diabetes Type 2 for many years. I am now housebound and take Apixaban daily. My sugar levels are stable but I have severe pain in the big toe joint of one foot. There is nothing to be seen. gout has been ruled out and despite their best efforts our GPś have no answer. Could this be connected with the diabetes and if so has anyone found a solution. Thank you JC

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am 87 and Have had diabetes Type 2 for many years. I am now housebound and take Apixaban daily. My sugar levels are stable but I have severe pain in the big toe joint of one foot. There is nothing to be seen. gout has been ruled out and despite their best efforts our GPś have no answer. Could this be connected with the diabetes and if so has anyone found a solution. Thank you JC
I am sorry to read about your painful toe. Unfortunately, I have neither a solution nor can I say if it is connected to Type 2 diabetes. I do have experience of very bad pain in my toes, but I was told that mine was because of gout. However, I would ask you to keep en eye on circulation to you feet while you cope with painkillers. My suggestion would be to visit a podiatrist, to ask for an opinion about the pain, while the podiatrist is treating your feet.

Reactions: Pipp

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @JohnChud
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your painful toe. You could try rubbing anti inflammatory gel on your toe, if you haven't already, to see if that helps at all (I'm not medically trained, and don't know if your pain is connected to your diabetes). You said your levels were stable - it would be helpful if you were willing to share your latest hba1c.

• Friendly

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always sleep wearing hand-knitted woollen bedsocks. (Thanks to my sister.) I do not get the pain in my toes every night, but somehow having warm feet makes pain more bearable.

• Informative

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had intermittent foot problems, sometimes pure agony, since the AZ jab.
After trying all sorts I found that making thick soft innersoles from resilient foam and putting them in sandals with velcro fastenings - so they could be loosened, eased the pain over the course of a day or so.. It has really helped three times now, so I install them as soon as I feel the slightest twinge and it has faded quickly.

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: Pipp and jjraak

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had intermittent foot problems, sometimes pure agony, since the AZ jab.
I, also, had the same vaccination but I do not know if they are connected in my case. However, for over a week I was very ill after the vaccination.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome.

I have also had severe pain in both big toe joints, but due to gout. Naproxen in large doses worked very well on dealing with the inflammation and pain. I've had no flare ups for four+ years since getting my BG back to normal levels, and I don't think this is a coincidence.

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP and Pipp

Brettskee

Hi I have severe periphial neuropathy in all toes started just big toe now in both feet and legs and now both wrists and hands due to years of very high bg levels still like it now rarely under 20 mmol and a a h1ac of 108 been left like this for the past 4/5 years there is a cream called capsaicin 25 w this does work for the stabbing pains I have seen this on the internet to purchase or see if your doctor could prescribe this for you hope this helps and easies your pain

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food, 2 faced people.
HI, I hope you find some relief, Arnica gel is good.

I don't want to contradict anyone but I'm also on Apixaban and my GP and Consultant have told me never to use any anti-inflammatories. Not Ibuprofen, Diclofenic etc. They are contra-indicated with Apixaban and can cause severe internal bleeding. That includes Ibuprofen type gels too.

I would check with your doctor first.