palpitations and LCHF

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been happily sticking to my LCHF way of life for months now. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed an increase n heart palpitations.

On googling I came across this ;
https://thorfalk.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/arrhythmia-heart-palpitations-ketosis-and-low-carb-diet/

So the recommendation is to add back some carbs to stop the palpitations.

I don't particularly want to add back too much rice or potatoes as I do find these very moreish and am a bit worried about the blood sugar effect.

so I have just eaten 90 g of carrots and 12 g of peas. It feels like the arrythimia stopped pretty much on the second bite. i.e. my body was saying you must have a bit of carbs. (I am in ketosis ) blood sugar around 6.7 (with dp ) on eating them . Overnight fasting blood sugar 5.5.

Ive been eating about 40g carbs and 60 g proteins for a while now.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon and increase carbs slightly to get rid of it? if not what else did you do?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooooh that's interesting, @CherryAA - I haven't experienced this symptom from LCHF but my carb intake is a little higher than your 40g.

Watching with interest.

:)

Ellbee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been happily sticking to my LCHF way of life for months now. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed an increase n heart palpitations.

On googling I came across this ;
https://thorfalk.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/arrhythmia-heart-palpitations-ketosis-and-low-carb-diet/

So the recommendation is to add back some carbs to stop the palpitations.

I don't particularly want to add back too much rice or potatoes as I do find these very moreish and am a bit worried about the blood sugar effect.

so I have just eaten 90 g of carrots and 12 g of peas. It feels like the arrythimia stopped pretty much on the second bite. i.e. my body was saying you must have a bit of carbs. (I am in ketosis ) blood sugar around 6.7 (with dp ) on eating them . Overnight fasting blood sugar 5.5.

Ive been eating about 40g carbs and 60 g proteins for a while now.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon and increase carbs slightly to get rid of it? if not what else did you do?

CherryAA yes I have definitely experienced this more than once initially when I started LCHF and intermittently since. I tend to eat some carbs like oat cakes or similar and after a while it settles. I’ve also added in magnesium and potassium supplements as an added measure. It works until I get really low carb again. I haven’t found the ideal level yet it’s trial and error ... interesting phenomenon