Pancreas Transplant

Kerry

Hello, my name's Kerry, I'm 29, I had type 1 diabetes for 20 years. During that time I suffered from what is often reffered to as 'Diabulimia'. In 2004 I began to experience symptoms of diabetic complications, including autonomic and peripheral neuropathy, gastroparisis and sight loss. I had a pancreas transplant on 02/01/08. It has been an amazing experience, painfull and difficult at times too!!

I'd really like to hear from anyone else who's had a transplant, especially a pancreas alone. I'd also like to hear from anyone who is interested in pancreas transplants as a treatment for diabetic complications, whether you agree with he concept, or not - what do you think????

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Kerry,

I would be very interested to hear more of your story. By diabulimia, I presume you were deliberately skipping insulin in order to prevent weight gain? How long had you been doing that?

What is the effect since the op? Do you have to take anti-rejection drugs? Do you still need diabetes treatment or does your new pancreas class you now as non-diabetic?