Pancreas

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This might sound silly but when I spoke to my doctor on Friday I asked her about why have I got diabetes I only asked because my diabetes nurse told me it was to do with my diet.. but the doctor told me it's because of my pancreatitis I've only got 10% of it working as the rest is dead.. does this mean I don't have to watch what I eat lol

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you've been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes then you really do need to watch what you eat. As you only have 10% of your pancreas working you need to put as little pressure on it as possible. I can't see if you are on any meds but restricting your carbs and regular testing your blood would be a good idea.

Out of interest, how does she know that you've only got 10% of your pancreas working and the rest is dead??

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have diabetes because chronic pancreatitis means 90% of your pancreas is dead that would be type 3c diabetes. Usually if pancreatic function is as limited as you mention (I've only got 10% of it working as the rest of it is dead) you have to take creon and be careful about fat intake. As well as having no beta cell function (making insulin) you have no alpha cell function (making glucagon in response to a hypo) so you are likely to be a little more brittle, and have to be more careful of avoiding hypos.

Having type 3c doesn't mean you don't have to watch what you eat. If the nurse had assumed you were type 2 and diet was the cause that suggests you have weight to loose and it would be important for any diabetic to aim to be a healthy weight, as this will assist with insulin resistance. It's also important for any diabetic to be eating a healthy balanced diet. A type 3c is usually on a basal bolus regime with carb counting.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if you're saying you're type 3c as @catapillar mentioned or if you're saying that you no longer produce hardly any insulin? I'm T2 and my pancreas no longer produces much insulin so I'm on MDI of insulin. My endo said my pancreas is no longer doing its job in reference to my insulin level (not everything else it does). You still need to watch your carb intake although you're controlling your sugar with insulin injections as well.