1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Paramedic

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Lauramooijekind, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Lauramooijekind

Lauramooijekind Type 1 · Member

Dear people, I am diagnosed with type 1, 2 months ago. I am slowly adjusting myself to this. However, I have been trying this entire year to try to go to university to become a paramedic. Now I have read some stuff online stating I cannot become a paramedic as I am type 1. Should I believe this or can I pursue my dream?

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Lauramooijekind ,

All I know is I encounter a fair few diabetics of all types working in the medical profession. I personally can't see why not!

Hopefully at least my comment will bump up your enqirory..

Wishing you the best of luck!

3. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would call the university and ask or call whoever does the hiring for the ambulance service.

4. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There are some issues with type 1s and blue light driving. My understanding is that the restrictions on this are easing recently, but there are likely to be specific licence issues to be met. You might want to get in touch with diabetes uk and maybe the college of paramedics to check the position.

• Like Like x 1
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If I was you, I would be enquiring from the local ambulance authority in your area what the health requirements are for applying to be a paramedic.

This would be the quickest way of finding out whether it's worth pursuing as a career.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook