Parliamentary speech on Type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Bumping this thread. A of bit a lengthy discussion about Type 1 diabetes and technology from George Howarth with input from other Mp's, but very interesting and informative..

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I listened to it this morning whilst at work (it counts as work right?)
Definitely interesting though I do wonder what Type 2 bordering on Type 1 from 'Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP' was supposed to mean - I'm presuming a mistaken belief.

Reactions: Sweetheart66
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah I listened to it this morning whilst at work (it counts as work right?)
Definitely interesting though I do wonder what Type 2 bordering on Type 1 from 'Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP' was supposed to mean - I'm presuming a mistaken belief.

I remember the Mp who, I think said ( my Wifi isn't great and the link was stop start, stop start) 'born with it' meaning type 1 :wideyed: could it of been the MP you mentioned ?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember the Mp who, I think said ( my Wifi isn't great and the link was stop start, stop start) 'born with it' meaning type 1 :wideyed: could it of been the MP you mentioned ?
To be honest without watching it again (which i probably cant really get away with as I should do 'some' work :)) I can't remember who said 'born with it', but Keith Vaz was the second MP to talk about diabetes at length ( he started talking at about 17:11:41)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it was interesting & it's good they are talking about it. Shame the "House" was almost empty because of the vote on the PM. Anyway, well done to George Howarth and to Keith Vaz who does usually speak well on diabetes (even if I disagree with him on most other unrelated subjects)

Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted Account

Thank you for sharing this.

There were some interesting points mentioned.
And some obvious misunderstandings. Keith Vaz and his "bordering on type 1" being one (I assume he means his doctor has suggested he starts using insulin) and a heavy focus from one of the MPs on being diagnosed as children, the impact on parents and support from schools whilst not realising more than half of people with type 1 are diagnosed as adults.

I don't usually watch parliamentary debates. It's lovely to see the difference between the politeness of this debate with chaos in some of the meetings I attend (and some of the higher profile debates in parliament).

M

Member496333

I haven’t seen any of this but “bordering on type 1” may refer to the crossover into double diabetes?

DD can strike both T1 & T2. The former become insulin resistant, and the latter melt their pancreas.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for sharing this.

There were some interesting points mentioned.
And some obvious misunderstandings. Keith Vaz and his "bordering on type 1" being one (I assume he means his doctor has suggested he starts using insulin) and a heavy focus from one of the MPs on being diagnosed as children, the impact on parents and support from schools whilst not realising more than half of people with type 1 are diagnosed as adults.

I don't usually watch parliamentary debates. It's lovely to see the difference between the politeness of this debate with chaos in some of the meetings I attend (and some of the higher profile debates in parliament).

I concur with you, it was so refreshing to hear politeness and nicely spoken tones in The H of C and also Type 1 being talked about at length as it does tend to be put on the 'back bencher's bench' o_O So many people still believe Type 1 is related to children and adolescents ( even medical professional's :mad:) which we know is incorrect, I was diagnosed at 31.
I guy I know said he had type 1, same as me and I thought, great we can talk about it........... but bless him, he thought he was type 1 because he pricked his finger's, but he is actually type 2 on Metformin and told me he had lost 3 stone in weight, so pleased for him :)

Reactions: Kim Possible
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
To be honest without watching it again (which i probably cant really get away with as I should do 'some' work :)) I can't remember who said 'born with it', but Keith Vaz was the second MP to talk about diabetes at length ( he started talking at about 17:11:41)