Paying for Strips and meds?

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I notice on ebay that there are various diabetic items for sale from lancets, needles for, strips etc.

I thought they were free, always have been for me?

I have just moved fro tablets to insulin and have Metformin and Gliclazide left over, would be good to go to someone who is paying rather than throwing away?

Reactions: Michael4450

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I admire your sentiment, but It is unlawful to sell prescribed drugs, please take them back to your pharmacy for safe disposal.
Lancets and test strips are not classed as prescribed/controlled drug, but aperartus

Reactions: Sharon14448

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, they destroy them, such a waste when could go to 3rd world!

It is still illegal to sell them or give them to someone else.

Most Type 2's not on insulin have to buy their own meters, strips and lancets. If they are on diabetes medication they get this free on prescription. No-one in the UK has to pay for diabetes medication.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

You could ask them about that. I know some charities do collect insulin but I'm unsure about tablets.

M

ME_Valentijn

Part of the reason it's illegal to sell your meds is because it's also unsafe for the recipient to get them from Some Guy On The Internet. There are charities you can donate money to, if that is your concern.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
D

Deleted member 308541

Having got a new Freestyle Lite meter on Wednesday from Abbots, I gave 300 Accu-Chek Performa strips still in the sealed boxes away to a friend of mine who uses a Performa strips.

Reactions: Energize

Michael4450

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I notice on ebay that there are various diabetic items for sale from lancets, needles for, strips etc.

I thought they were free, always have been for me?

I have just moved fro tablets to insulin and have Metformin and Gliclazide left over, would be good to go to someone who is paying rather than throwing away?

Strips and various items are free on the NHS in the UK

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.

Not every doctor prescribes them for Type 2. In fact most don't in accordance with NICE guidelines which is why a lot of people use the SD Codefree which is cheap to run.

Michael4450

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not every doctor prescribes them for Type 2. In fact most don't in accordance with NICE guidelines which is why a lot of people use the SD Codefree which is cheap to run.

My doctor when I was told I had T2 which was a shock to say the least I am very lucky everything I need is free on the NHS all medication whatever I am exempt sounds to me some doctors are ripping off their patients

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Not these days I'm afraid. The vast majority of non-insulin users have to buy their own meters and strips. They are only prescribed if you use insulin or take insulin promoting drugs such as Gliclazide.

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wish those that have to buy their own test strips could buy them direct from the NHS at the price the NHS pays for them.

Nanny_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine are also free and I was given a meter too. It's unfair that not everyone in the UK is treated the same. Is it a postcode lottery?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't a postcode lottery. The doctors are obliged to follow the NICE recommendations, which are as follows:

Self-monitoring of blood glucose
1.6.12Take the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive into account when offering self‑monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes. [new 2015]

1.6.13Do not routinely offer self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes unless:

• the person is on insulin or

• there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or

• the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or

• the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant. For more information, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy. [new 2015]
1.6.14Consider short-term self-monitoring of blood glucose levels in adults with type 2 diabetes (and review treatment as necessary):

• when starting treatment with oral or intravenous corticosteroids or

• to confirm suspected hypoglycaemia. [new 2015]
1.6.15Be aware that adults with type 2 diabetes who have acute intercurrent illness are at risk of worsening hyperglycaemia. Review treatment as necessary. [new 2015]

1.6.16If adults with type 2 diabetes are self‑monitoring their blood glucose levels, carry out a structured assessment at least annually. The assessment should include:

• the person's self-monitoring skills

• the quality and frequency of testing

• checking that the person knows how to interpret the blood glucose results and what action to take

• the impact on the person's quality of life

• the continued benefit to the person

• the equipment used. [2015]
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
It isn't a postcode lottery. The doctors are obliged to follow the NICE recommendations, which are as follows:

Self-monitoring of blood glucose
1.6.12Take the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive into account when offering self‑monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes. [new 2015]

1.6.13Do not routinely offer self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for adults with type 2 diabetes unless:

• the person is on insulin or

• there is evidence of hypoglycaemic episodes or

• the person is on oral medication that may increase their risk of hypoglycaemia while driving or operating machinery or

• the person is pregnant, or is planning to become pregnant. For more information, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy. [new 2015]
1.6.14Consider short-term self-monitoring of blood glucose levels in adults with type 2 diabetes (and review treatment as necessary):

• when starting treatment with oral or intravenous corticosteroids or

• to confirm suspected hypoglycaemia. [new 2015]
1.6.15Be aware that adults with type 2 diabetes who have acute intercurrent illness are at risk of worsening hyperglycaemia. Review treatment as necessary. [new 2015]

1.6.16If adults with type 2 diabetes are self‑monitoring their blood glucose levels, carry out a structured assessment at least annually. The assessment should include:

• the person's self-monitoring skills

• the quality and frequency of testing

• checking that the person knows how to interpret the blood glucose results and what action to take

• the impact on the person's quality of life

• the continued benefit to the person

• the equipment used. [2015]
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2
have to disagree. I am in Coventry and treated completely differently to the rest of my family in the nearby areas of Solihull and Sandwell. TBF my friend who lives 4 miles away still in Coventry gets appointments and the drugs prescribed by the hospital without a problem. The attitude of my GP has cost my health dearly and the NHS a lot every month. It even comes down to who phones who for the telephone appointments. If NICE guidelines set a standard then routine elements of patient care should be standardised and enforced as such.

Reactions: AM1874