Type 2 PCOS and Diabetes type 2

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all.
I've Diabetes type 2 and PCOS.
I've developed both from binge eating disorder and I'm having problems with control the amount of food I eat and the kinds of food I eat too.
Anyway, I don't know if there is anyone else who can relate to my situation. If so, please reply and let me know what do you do to "reverse" these health problems.
Best of luck for you all.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome @Diabetes.PCOS . I'm tagging @Brunneria , as if I recall correctly she has experience of PCOS.

I have in the past had an inappropriate relationship with food - I went through phases of 'eating the house', as I call it. Entire boxes of cereal, packets of biscuits, multipacks of crisps - lots and lots and lots. I am much more stable now with my eating although I can't pinpoint what it was which lifted me out of that situation, I'm afraid - having said that I did have a bit of a moment yesterday, but nothing on the scale I used to experience.

These days I eat far less carbohydrate than I used to - as a type 1 I can eat carbs and bolus the correct amount of insulin to 'cover' them, but I have in time just found that it's easier for me (fewer risks of spikes and hypos) if I don't eat much carbohydrate. I really really don't feel as if I'm missing out, and in fact I find I stay feeling much fuller for much longer than in my days of porridge and sandwiches. There is some talk of carbs being 'addictive', and now I don't eat a huge amount of carbohydrate I certainly don't find I'm craving them. And that really helps with not falling into my old trap of inappropriate eating.

If I do need to snack I'll snack on hardboiled eggs with mayonnaise, or a Babybel cheese or something. I don't bother with potatoes or pasta or rice for meals, just have a load of extra veg, or cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice with whatever else I'm having (meat, fish, whatever). Starch isn't something I miss. I would find after a binge I would feel swollen and hurty all over (not just my tummy, but my whole body), and even if I've eaten too much on occasion in more recent times, I just don't experience that pain any more.

Sending a hug.

Love Snapsy
:)

Reactions: Diabetes.PCOS

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome! (and thank you @Snapsy

Binge eating disorder could stem from a variety of things, but I doubt very much if you could have developed pcos as a result of binge eating. Far more likely to be the other way round.

The hormonal 'stuff' that comes along with pcos has far reaching implications - insulin resistance, food cravings, mood swings, PMT, and so on.

Also, those of us with pcos are MUCH more likely to develop Type 2 than most women. Something like 50% of us will be type 2 by the time we reach the age of 50 years.

So please don't be blaming your pcos and T2 on having binged. It is a symptom of your hormonal and blood glucose issues, which have probably gone back years, if not decades.

For my own part, I went through a few years when I felt out of control with food and cycled between famine and fast, severe dieting and eating far too much - although I did slowly learn that the more carbs I ate, the more mood and blood glucose swings and cravings I experienced. So I slowly moved further and further into low carb eating, which eventually allowed me to walk away from the bingeing. For which I am very, very grateful. I now eat very low carb.

I think we each have to find our own path with this, because the emotional side of food is so powerful. But if you do some googling on pcos and low carb, you will find that there is growing evidence that low carbing can benefit people with pcos - in terms of both reducing pcos symptoms, and for controlling cravings, and weight loss.

Hope that helps.

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome @Diabetes.PCOS . I'm tagging @Brunneria , as if I recall correctly she has experience of PCOS.

I have in the past had an inappropriate relationship with food - I went through phases of 'eating the house', as I call it. Entire boxes of cereal, packets of biscuits, multipacks of crisps - lots and lots and lots. I am much more stable now with my eating although I can't pinpoint what it was which lifted me out of that situation, I'm afraid - having said that I did have a bit of a moment yesterday, but nothing on the scale I used to experience.

These days I eat far less carbohydrate than I used to - as a type 1 I can eat carbs and bolus the correct amount of insulin to 'cover' them, but I have in time just found that it's easier for me (fewer risks of spikes and hypos) if I don't eat much carbohydrate. I really really don't feel as if I'm missing out, and in fact I find I stay feeling much fuller for much longer than in my days of porridge and sandwiches. There is some talk of carbs being 'addictive', and now I don't eat a huge amount of carbohydrate I certainly don't find I'm craving them. And that really helps with not falling into my old trap of inappropriate eating.

If I do need to snack I'll snack on hardboiled eggs with mayonnaise, or a Babybel cheese or something. I don't bother with potatoes or pasta or rice for meals, just have a load of extra veg, or cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice with whatever else I'm having (meat, fish, whatever). Starch isn't something I miss. I would find after a binge I would feel swollen and hurty all over (not just my tummy, but my whole body), and even if I've eaten too much on occasion in more recent times, I just don't experience that pain any more.

Sending a hug.

Love Snapsy
:)

Hi Snapsy.
Thank you a lot for your reply.

I've been on that "eating the house" for almost two years now. That wasn't a good thing for my PCOS, which got worse from the excessive weight. Anyway, thank you a lot for let me know I'm not alone on this "way of eating".

I will try hardboiled eggs. I just started a few days ago but I feel like my body really needs carbs (no idea if it's really true or just something related to binge eating disorder (actually diagnosed, I forgot to say I'm sorry). So I can go on like five hardboiled eggs and even so feel hungry and then go to carbs because my body still crave them a lot.

Now I guess my body got used to binging so I almost don't experience those bad feelings after binging, except some from "no more space in my stomach". Honestly the only worse thing happening to me is the food coming to my mouth from times to times after a huge binge and that can't even breathe properly because I'm too full.

Well, anyway thank you a lot for your reply. I really appreciated it.

Have a nice day,
Diabetes.PCOS

Reactions: Snapsy

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome! (and thank you @Snapsy

Binge eating disorder could stem from a variety of things, but I doubt very much if you could have developed pcos as a result of binge eating. Far more likely to be the other way round.

The hormonal 'stuff' that comes along with pcos has far reaching implications - insulin resistance, food cravings, mood swings, PMT, and so on.

Also, those of us with pcos are MUCH more likely to develop Type 2 than most women. Something like 50% of us will be type 2 by the time we reach the age of 50 years.

So please don't be blaming your pcos and T2 on having binged. It is a symptom of your hormonal and blood glucose issues, which have probably gone back years, if not decades.

For my own part, I went through a few years when I felt out of control with food and cycled between famine and fast, severe dieting and eating far too much - although I did slowly learn that the more carbs I ate, the more mood and blood glucose swings and cravings I experienced. So I slowly moved further and further into low carb eating, which eventually allowed me to walk away from the bingeing. For which I am very, very grateful. I now eat very low carb.

I think we each have to find our own path with this, because the emotional side of food is so powerful. But if you do some googling on pcos and low carb, you will find that there is growing evidence that low carbing can benefit people with pcos - in terms of both reducing pcos symptoms, and for controlling cravings, and weight loss.

Hope that helps.

Hi and thank you!

Probably. When I said I developed PCOS from binge eating disorder I meant that I made two exams with three months difference: in the first I had no PCOS evidence and then in the other (3 months later and already with binge eating disorder) I had a lot of cysts in both ovaries. Also got other symptoms but I don't think it's necessary to write them all on here. At least I guess my PCOS got worse but I see I'm not much in the topic of PCOS so maybe I'm wrong and sorry for that.

I'm almost getting to my 20's and it's already something I've to get in mind.

I will google that. Thank you. And a huge thank you for your reply and help.

Yes, it helps. Thank you.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OMG revelation - I said earlier that I didn't know what I did to get out of it - but having read this I have had a think about timings and I think it all became easier when I changed from the sort of pill I was on (3 different coloured ones with differing amounts of lady hormones depending on where in the 28 days I was in terms of the packet) to the POP or 'mini pill' which doesn't contain any oestrogen!

I think that coincides with my eating behaviours calming down! It was hormones!

(I love the POP - no periods, no mood swings - fabulous!)

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head, @Brunneria !

xxx

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OMG revelation - I said earlier that I didn't know what I did to get out of it - but having read this I have had a think about timings and I think it all became easier when I changed from the sort of pill I was on (3 different coloured ones with differing amounts of lady hormones depending on where in the 28 days I was in terms of the packet) to the POP or 'mini pill' which doesn't contain any oestrogen!

I think that coincides with my eating behaviours calming down! It was hormones!

(I love the POP - no periods, no mood swings - fabulous!)

Thanks for hitting the nail on the head, @Brunneria !

xxx

I'm so glad you found out that!

I've no periods without taking the pill so I guess I should talk with my doctor about it.

Thanks!

Reactions: Snapsy

WWJD

PCOS are one of the things that are in the group of metabolic syndrome. If you google metabolic syndrome and the group of things that come under that umbrella, may give you more info. As well as googling insulin resistance and leptin resistance, which stops you from feeling full. You help leptin resistance the same as insulin resistance. A lot of people find low carb high fat way of eating can really help. Often metformin is prescibed to help reduce the insulin resistance as well.

You are a young woman with a life time ahead, you really can turn this around

This gives a simple overview to how it works for me. The more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

these videos are worth watching

Last edited:

Hotpepper20000

I struggled with PCOS for 20 years before I started with low carb after I was diagnosed with type 2.
I understand the insatiable hunger that comes with hormones and BG spikes.
Low carb and moderate fat saved my life.
Mood swings, binge eating, horrible body aches, and exatreme fatigue have almost disappeared.
I am going to suggest something that sounds counterintuitive.
Stop concentrating on your need to lose weight. Only when you get you BG undercontrol will your hunger be controlled
And once you BG is controlled then it will be easier to lose weight.
This forum is a great place for support.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ah yes... missing periods...

My doc said that missing periods were perfectly normal for fat women, and that if I lost weight, they would come back like clockwork.
Such a dear man.

20 years later, another doc decided to investigate and it turned out it was rampant PCOS and a tumour on the pituitary gland. Got medication for the tumour, and lo and behold, the periods turned up again - like clockwork - even though I weigh almost exactly the same.

So I strongly encourage you to push for a proper diagnosis and investigations. You never know what might turn up - and at your age, it might be nice to have the option of children some time in your future...

Hotpepper20000

Dont let the Health care professionals tell you that all your problems are because you need to lose weight.
Weight gain is a symptom not the cause.

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
PCOS are one of the things that are in the group of metabolic syndrome. If you google metabolic syndrome and the group of things that come under that umbrella, may give you more info. As well as googling insulin resistance and leptin resistance, which stops you from feeling full. You help leptin resistance the same as insulin resistance. A lot of people find low carb high fat way of eating can really help. Often metformin is prescibed to help reduce the insulin resistance as well.

You are a young woman with a life time ahead, you really can turn this around

This gives a simple overview to how it works for me. The more carbs I eat, the more carbs I want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

these videos are worth watching

Thank you a lot.
I've already tried low carb but it didn't really work because I got too dizzy after around one day and I just found impossible to keep going with it.
I'll watch the videos right now.

I hope so. But being this young makes me a little hopeless as I'm so young and already with so many health problems you know...

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I struggled with PCOS for 20 years before I started with low carb after I was diagnosed with type 2.
I understand the insatiable hunger that comes with hormones and BG spikes.
Low carb and moderate fat saved my life.
Mood swings, binge eating, horrible body aches, and exatreme fatigue have almost disappeared.
I am going to suggest something that sounds counterintuitive.
Stop concentrating on your need to lose weight. Only when you get you BG undercontrol will your hunger be controlled
And once you BG is controlled then it will be easier to lose weight.
This forum is a great place for support.

Honestly now I'm just trying to eat mora normally. And trying to find a way to get better from PCOS.

I see. <3 Thank you and all that are helping me.

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ah yes... missing periods...

My doc said that missing periods were perfectly normal for fat women, and that if I lost weight, they would come back like clockwork.
Such a dear man.

20 years later, another doc decided to investigate and it turned out it was rampant PCOS and a tumour on the pituitary gland. Got medication for the tumour, and lo and behold, the periods turned up again - like clockwork - even though I weigh almost exactly the same.

So I strongly encourage you to push for a proper diagnosis and investigations. You never know what might turn up - and at your age, it might be nice to have the option of children some time in your future...

I honestly don't believe I would get better from losing weight. But usually they tell me so.
I really think I would get the same way I'm now. I guess it's more complicated than just a weight loss issue you know...

Thank you a lot. Yes, I don't think they give me all the options possible you know?

And totally. Thinking I cannot have the possibility to get children in the future really breaks my heart.

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dont let the Health care professionals tell you that all your problems are because you need to lose weight.
Weight gain is a symptom not the cause.

Yeah I totally agree that if I lost weight it would help that much but they totally say it would.
I guess it's not that "easy" you know...

Hotpepper20000

Thank you a lot.
I've already tried low carb but it didn't really work because I got too dizzy after around one day and I just found impossible to keep going with it.
I'll watch the videos right now.

I hope so. But being this young makes me a little hopeless as I'm so young and already with so many health problems you know...
If you try go too low carb too fast that will happen also it's important to increase your fat intake. It doesn't have to be loads of fat but full fat dairy and a little butter on your veggies. That will give you energy.

Hotpepper20000

I honestly don't believe I would get better from losing weight. But usually they tell me so.
I really think I would get the same way I'm now. I guess it's more complicated than just a weight loss issue you know...

Thank you a lot. Yes, I don't think they give me all the options possible you know?

And totally. Thinking I cannot have the possibility to get children in the future really breaks my heart.

I started Low carb moderate fat at was able to lose 50 pounds and my PCOS symptoms have improve immensely. This was only possible for me with low carb.
My BG is now non diabetic range.

Its has changed my life for the better.

Rintintin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I've had PCOS for years and this year was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I can absolutely relate to your story and am no stranger to binge eating and all the other horrible unwanted effects of PCOS.

Once I had my diabetes diagnosis I knew I had to do something about it and have managed to keep up a low carb intake for six months now, I can't say it's easy but it's definitely worth it as I feel an awful lot better now and have managed to lose some weight. I agree with one of the above posters who said don't concentrate on the losing weight but keeping track of blood sugar was my main concern and the weight loss was a happy side effect that came with it, progress with both of these certainly helped me on days where I could have easily sat down and eaten a few large chocolate bars in one. Now I still have occasional days where I eat a bit too much but it's nowhere near what I used to crave. Using a meter at least four or five times a day to find out what sends you high trains you to avoid the bad stuff and enjoy things like cheese, cream and nuts.

If you can try to lower your carbs then after a week or so you will hopefully be feeling better, clothes will feel looser and your sugar levels will come down, as I say it's not easy and there will be ups and downs but it will be worth it in the long run.
I found Yasmin to be a really good pill to go on and seems to be recommended for people with PCOS but it's an individual thing.

Good luck to you in your journey and do use this forum, whether it's asking questions or just reading through posts to see you're not alone in this.

x

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you try go too low carb too fast that will happen also it's important to increase your fat intake. It doesn't have to be loads of fat but full fat dairy and a little butter on your veggies. That will give you energy.

It wasn't really a lack of energy, it was more light I couldn't think properly I guess.

Diabetes.PCOS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started Low carb moderate fat at was able to lose 50 pounds and my PCOS symptoms have improve immensely. This was only possible for me with low carb.
My BG is now non diabetic range.

Its has changed my life for the better.

I love refined carbs a lot to give up on them I guess.

I feel really deprived when I try to go low carb.
But I will try again probably.

Thank you a lot.