Pedometer Challenge Thread

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its brilliant we are using the peds, you all are doing amazing! but id like folks that are doing equally as well doing the hundred steps not to feel they cant post there steps too, thats all im saying :) itd be great for those folks to get involved in this thread

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, and I play a little head game with myself, sometimes.

Remember knights in shining armour? Well, a suit of full plate armour weighed approx 35-55 pounds. Let's say that is 42 pounds or 3 stone.

See where I am going?

If you are 3 stone overweight, then every step, all day, you are carrying round the equivalent of an entire suit of mediaeval plate armour. And it is directly comparable, because plate armour is distributed around the body, just like excess fat.

And if you are 6 or 9 stone overweight, that is two or three sets of armour. Every step, up stairs, down, out to the bins, down to the shop...

Always makes me laugh when slim people bounce to their feet and skip up stairs and suggest walking up hills. I'll bet they wouldn't do it as easily in full armour!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Decided in an attempt to get motivation back and not revert to growing old gracefully to join in with this.
Have a birthday coming up and have been looking on amazon.
I'm looking at the garmin vivofit because it links in to garmin connect. I already have a garmin forerunner that I can use for walks/runs . This shows calories, elevation distance and puts the route on the map it would be nice to be able to link the two. (so go out for a walk with 2 gadgets and an identity bracelet on my arms!! )
Anyone know how good/ bad it is. I've read the reviews but a lot are from people who got given it to review.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1398879199.744560.jpg

7497 today but ive skiving all day, getting even with clay :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This week's score:

Friday. 2367 (the day the cold plague struck)
Sat. 1242 (all day in bed, not even sure how I ramped up this many!)
Sun. 3473 (back on my feet but still feeble)
Mon. 4142 (bored with feebleness)
Tue. 3932 (yawn)
Wed. 3809 (getting restless now)
Thur. 2908 (and just as she thought it was safe to go back in the water... She wrenches her knee!)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
awww sorry you've been poorly :(

you wore your ped in bed? thats dedication!

and now the knee? :( :( :(

wish you better!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. Bubonic plague masquerading as a common cold with a 24hr chest infection (yeah, ridiculous, I know).

It's the fitbit flex wrist bracelet. Awesome! I don't even have to take it off in the shower. And it syncs with the computer automatically.

I pushed the knee cartilage back into place last night. So today the knee is good enough for 7,500 steps so far. Whee!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. Bubonic plague masquerading as a common cold with a 24hr chest infection (yeah, ridiculous, I know).i pushed the knee cartilage back into place last night. So today the knee is good enough for 7,500 steps so far. Whee!

Oh, poor you. I hate colds. I am a real whinger when I get one. Be careful with that knee it sounds very painful.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! Oddly, the knee is virtually painless. Sometimes the cartilage slides about a bit and stops me straightening the leg fully. It usually takes a day or two before I get it right, but if I replicate the position perfectly, it just slides back in. Instant cure. Brilliant.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another week:
(Been on annual leave, so not typical)

Fri - 7828
Sat - 5323
Sun - 5127
Mon - 6598
Tue - 8543
Wed - 8282
Thur. - 5891

However, every day has been 1-3,000 steps more than my first week using the fitbit. Which is great. Will see if I can keep it up when I am back at work next week...

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First day with my new vivofit: 7,150 steps (doubt if there will be many more today)
Definitely the red line makes me get up and move. Don't think that it registered all my steps on the treadmill though. It said I did 2.6k, the treadmill said I did 3.2km.
Calories are much as I anticipated, says that I've used just over 1700 today so far so will probably be about 1800 in total. It just goes to show how few a sedentary woman of my age actually needs.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
4518 and im surprised its that good tbh ive been sitting alot today, went out on the bike but dont think it registers that, ill check next time

map my ride said id burned 219 calories but i dont think it knew about the hill, felt like 2019

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well a week in and although no movement on this thread . I've been getting competitive on the Garmin website,. There are a couple of hours to go to the end of the week and this is what my challenge leader board looks like
No. 1 139,058 steps
No . 2 (me) 66,641steps
No 3 65,321 steps

Now do I go for another walk before bed ? There is no way I can approach No (almost 20,000 steps a day) 1 but it would be good for the self esteem to keep my second place!
Actually I'm pretty pleased with myself. Very few of the 'competitors' have a visible profile(I don't) but I'm far older than anyone who has given their profile. It's really a bit stupid to compare a 25 year old triathlete to a 62 year old .
Oh dear , the red line that says I haven't moved for an hour had come up. Goodnight!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Four weeks since I got the gadget, it's certainly made me move more. Still not back to running but I've apparently done
330, 771 steps and 249.89km in four weeks (101, 000 steps this week).
Where is everyone else?
I've gone back onto Fetch (a running website) ? I used to use it to log training when I was running . I've now started playing a sort of online treasure hunt . You have to collect coins scattered around your 'home area' and move bugs that create penalties if you don't move them at least a mile away), very silly but it makes you plan routes that go far further than you had intended.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness, I had forgotten about this thread!
:oops:
I'm still wearing the fitbit 24/7
Mapping my sleep is fascinating.
Disturbed nights are directly linked to carb consumption or late night eating.
Strangely fat consumption late at night has no impact at all. :happy:

Stepswise, I definitely walking further than I used to, averaging 66,000 last week, which is up by 30,000 on my first week, I think.

Very pleased.

@phoenix am very impressed with your over 100,000!!!