Permanent glucose drip

Jane 1973

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Morning all, I’m new to the site and I’m posting in the hope someone might be able to offer advice,my husband is in hospital after having a severe hypoglycaemic episode at the weekend,unfortunately he has a medical condition that means he needs to have a glucose drip at all times but this isn’t ideal,does anyone on here know of anything that exists that could possibly be a help to us? We are totally desperate right now as no one seems to have any answers.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Jane 1973 and welcome to the forums. I'm so sorry about your husband's situation.

Just trying to understand your husband's condition, is he suffering from permanent hypoglycemia so that a glucose drip is needed to counteract it? Is the glucose drip a new thing or just since the weekend?

Is he seeing an endocrinologist to diagnose and treat his condition?

Jane 1973

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Hi Ellie he was diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour in November 2019 which is in the pancreas, he has been diabetic since the diagnosis but dealing with it very well, however over the last couple of months he has been having more and more hypos and at the weekend had a very severe hypo which has now resulted in him needing to be on the glucose drip permanently to keep his blood sugar up at all times.
He has been seen by endocrinologists but they have said it’s more something for the oncologist as the tumour is what is causing the hypos.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
He has been seen by endocrinologists but they have said it’s more something for the oncologist as the tumour is what is causing the hypos.
So can they remove the tumour ? In which case I'd naively hope that the hypos would stop...... I am really hoping that the glucose drip is a temporary measure...

Last edited:

Jane 1973

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
So can they remove the tumour ? In which case I'd naively hope that the hypos would stop...... I am really hoping that the insulin drip is a temporary measure...
Because the tumour has spread and because of the nature of it being such a rare type they have always said surgery was not an option however given the current situation they have mentioned possible surgery

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Jane 1973 Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your husband's tumour and being in hospital. Does it make any difference if your husband eats a very low carb diet?

Jane 1973

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Hi there to be honest all we know is that he has to have glucose or sugar to keep his blood sugar stable

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Jane 1973 Sorry I haven't come across a glucose drip before - perhaps try Twitter as the audience is global and you might get more help there, if you use hashtags to alert others to your post that would help. One such hastag to use is @GBDOC and ask them to RT (retweet) as their diabetic audience is huge.

I take it that he's not taking any insulin at all now ?

Jane 1973

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Hi there thank you, no he’s not taking insulin.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Also is he using a CGM so you can watch what's happening 24/7 with his blood glucose levels ? the alarm functionality is useful to see when he starts to drop.

Hope you get some ideas soon.

Jane 1973

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Hi yes he has the freestyle

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
@Jane 1973 you've posted in the T1 forum. Would you like a moderator to move your thread into the "Ask a Question" or T3c forum? (It sounds to me that your husband is probably T3c rather than T1. T3cs are people who are diabetic because of pancreatic issues.)

Reactions: lovinglife