Phone call out of the blue .. seeing Doc tomorrow

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy my strips on ebay and very few are now prescribed strips as there were five years ago when I started testing. Most are grey market eg from countries where the manufacturer reduces the cost. Would be happy to buy strips to profit the NHS but that is not an option.

Reactions: chris lowe

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Morally no, they get them free, but if I can get them cheaper than I can buy them I will.
Also illegal, in this year so far, the BBC, the Mirror and the Mail have all exposed people selling and buying prescription items on eBay. eBay themselves have also come under a lot of flack as well.

The NHS hasn't got two halfpennies to rub together and this practice should be discouraged.

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP is more than happy for me to test, even to test with the FreeStyle Libre. There is no way she will prescribe test strips though. That may be because I accept that she's never going to prescribe test strips unless I become insulin dependent. I'm not saying it's right but the NHS is not in a position to fund a lot of things these days and sadly test strips are a drop in the ocean. We can add my knees and my mate's hernia operation which he is still waiting for even after emergency funding has been applied for. So in his case, his GP says he needs the op, the consultant says he needs the op and can't understand why he's not been given a date. So even doctors agreeing with testing, in my opinion, doesn't mean they have to prescribe strips. Just an opinion. I'm scared of where this is all going to be honest. The government seem hell bent on letting the NHS fall into disarray and even raising a few hundred million with National Insurance contributions is going nowhere.

However, the £80 billion put aside to smooth Brexit is a different matter all together. I thought we were going to be better off, I haven't seen much evidence of it yet. Sorry for the politics, but it's the politicians who are behind everything.

I understand the frustration, postcode lottery? I get my strips free (though just ordered Genteel system, that will not be supported). My surgery is superb, though shall have to move away due to moving out of catchment area! On the NHS – 110 billion cost, 1.3 million staff (only surpassed by Chinese army), only 16 million used it last year, only 'free at point of entry' (so if NICE considers, not value for money, hard luck). NHS is considered 17th in the league table by WHO! It is a beast out of control, kept by so many that care!

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought 2 accucheck mobile cassettes for £20 on ebay. I can't get them on prescription and it would cost nearly £50 to buy them at the chemist.

So, make them cheaper, make them free or there will always be people who will sell and people like me who will buy.

Basic economics really, unethical perhaps, but not illegal.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
moving out of catchment area!
Are you moving a long way? I hear the term catchment area but I'm unfamiliar with what it means. I stayed in the same house but changed from a surgery 1/2 mile away to 4.2 miles away. Was I in the same catchment area? Just making sure I know what the term means.

Reactions: Gannet

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have made a deal with a pharmacist: every month I'll buy 50 strips and she sells me with a 40% discount. It's like the coffee subscription, If you agree on advanced a fixed quantity you'll get a better deal. Or for the consumables like oil or lathe bits for machine tools: i suppose that in this manner the dealer reduces the stock with all the associated costs.