Type 1 PIP - anyone successful?

J smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I've had diabetes type 1 for 48 years and have got proliferative retinopathy. I've had vitrectomy operations on both eyes and one eye had a detached and torn retina. I've applied for PIP but there seems to be a problem with people with diabetes getting it?! I can't see my computer screen to work any more so not faking it...!! Has anyone else been successful in a claim please?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I was recently successful with my claim for PIP. What you have to do is fill out your form as if you are experiencing your one of your "worst days", or at least this was what I was advised, which gives you more points towards your PIP claim, and do the same in your interview with capita :)

Reactions: NaijaChick

J smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. The form seems to be a lot of questions about whether I can talk to people etc but not about the fact that I can't see them very well it's nice to hear from someone who was successful x

Reactions: Freema
S

Shar67

I got it for other issues, go to CAB for help filling forms in, they do it all the time and know how to word the help you need.
One example I can give you,
Question. do you need help to go to toilet"?
most people read this as a person helping you go to the toilet but that isn't the way it's worded
Help can mean holding on to the back of a chair as you move round, stopping for a rest, holding on to a door frame, this is all helping you get to the toilet, therefore you need help.
Lots of people adjust their lifestyle to accommodate a disability, so much that it is their normal and they forget it isn't the normal.

Reactions: Salvia and azure

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Glad you managed to get PIP.
I,m type2 so I won,t get PIP for that.
However I have bipolar and did claim DLA indefinable award. I had to apply for PIP. I was unsuccessful on 3 occasions that I applied even failed when it went through to the very end.
When I have my worst days, I can hardly do anything for myself.
I do think it's pure luck whether you get it or not.
I
On all 3 occasions, Atos did my assessments and I have heard that they fail 90% of people

J smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi yes I think Atos do them here. It does seem a bit hit or miss as to who gets it and who doesn't. And the assessments are done by a healthcare professional whatever that means!!

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
I've just put my claim in not for my diabetes but osteoarthritis of the spine and my muscular skeletal weakness will have to see what happens

Kevin10320

I got it for other issues, go to CAB for help filling forms in, they do it all the time and know how to word the help you need.
One example I can give you,
Question. do you need help to go to toilet"?
most people read this as a person helping you go to the toilet but that isn't the way it's worded
Help can mean holding on to the back of a chair as you move round, stopping for a rest, holding on to a door frame, this is all helping you get to the toilet, therefore you need help.
Lots of people adjust their lifestyle to accommodate a disability, so much that it is their normal and they forget it isn't the normal.
Hi there,
I don't get PIP but my wife does and when asked if she needed help to go to the toilet she said no, the assessor asked her how she stood up and she said holding the radiator (we now have handles!) ... so you do need help going to the toilet!. If it hadn't been for that point,my wife would not have qualified for the living element even though she is in a wheelchair. So just be aware that help can mean a lot of different things you might not think of Best of luck to anyone who is applying

Reactions: azure
M

mist

I hope your making an appeal

Is it worth it? I don't really want another person coming over to my house and laughing at me because I have trouble leaving the house, which is what the interview lady did last week. Made Me feel like a piece of ****.

S

Shar67

Is it worth it? I don't really want another person coming over to my house and laughing at me because I have trouble leaving the house, which is what the interview lady did last week. Made Me feel like a piece of ****.

Yes appeal but also make a complaint, so called professionals that act in such a manner need to be taken to task, please call CAB for help. Makes my blood boil that this treatment is government endorsed

Reactions: Freema
M

mist

Yes appeal but also make a complaint, so called professionals that act in such a manner need to be taken to task, please call CAB for help. Makes my blood boil that this treatment is government endorsed

Ok, I will give CAB a call and see what they advise. I don't like making waves though..

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Atos and Capita are the companies to whom the assesment task is sub-contracted. They file the report to the DWP which is in a standard format. It is the DWP who decide if you will be awarded a PIP or not

J smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your replies. It does seem, judging by the answers, that you can't get PIP on the basis of having Type1 which is a chronic illness in itself. I've had it for a long time and things are not going well. I hope that everyone who has applied and been rejected will appeal as there are very few other conditions which can lead to such horrible complications. Good luck

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all your replies. It does seem, judging by the answers, that you can't get PIP on the basis of having Type1 which is a chronic illness in itself. I've had it for a long time and things are not going well. I hope that everyone who has applied and been rejected will appeal as there are very few other conditions which can lead to such horrible complications. Good luck

That's correct - you don't get PIP for Type 1 alone. BUT if you have complications, you may get it for those.

Do get advice. I second the recommendation of the CAB. Your DSN and/or surgery may also be able to advise what's best to put on the form.

S

Shar67

Ok, I will give CAB a call and see what they advise. I don't like making waves though..
That's what their hoping, that you will give up, don't' I'm here to stand beside you, shouting your corner.

cathief51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't give up I got PIP on my third attempt, I am t2 but it was for mobility problems I got it. I have osteoarthritis inmy neck, spine, knees, feet and hands. I have difficulty getting about and a lot of pain. I had help from our local CAB who were amazing, so do ask them for help.