Plain Yoghurt.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Today fond a plain thick full fat Greek yoghurt in Tescos.
Thick enough to stand your spoon in.
It's called Total Fage.
Very nice with some strawberries from the garden

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I found this recipe for homemade Greek type yoghurt. I am going to give it a go.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's called Total Fage.

That is exactly what I have every breakfast, and very delicious with strawberries, even supermarket fresh ones. :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
For breakfast this morning I had 3 Ryvita covered in soft cheese.
Glanced at the label and discovered that they are over 70% carbs!!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I found this recipe for homemade Greek type yoghurt. I am going to give it a go.
Fantastic!
I never imagined it could be that simple.
I remember a friend some years ago buying a yoghurt making set complete with bottles sachets and heaters and after a couple of attempts he failed and chucked it all in the bin!
I'm going to have a go at that.

Reactions: 2 people

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fantastic!
I never imagined it could be that simple.
I remember a friend some years ago buying a yoghurt making set complete with bottles sachets and heaters and after a couple of attempts he failed and chucked it all in the bin!
I'm going to have a go at that.

I have heated the milk almost 2ltrs leaving enough room to add the yoghurt and sour cream. I will let you know how it goes. I found a jar of Morello cherries in a local shop going to try them drained and do half with Manderines in juice ditch the juice .I cant wait.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have heated the milk almost 2ltrs leaving enough room to add the yoghurt and sour cream. I will let you know how it goes. I found a jar of Morello cherries in a local shop going to try them drained and do half with Manderines in juice ditch the juice .I cant wait.
Got loads of strawbs from the garden in the freezer ... guess what I'm having?
Did you see the home made butter youtube?
My wife makes that now and then ... it into perfect shape too.
Good source of salt free butter especially now I'm into the bullet proof coffee.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back when I made yog from scratch, I used UHT milk (no need to sterilise) and an Easiyo yog maker. It's simpler and easier than phaffing with the boiling milk in saucepan.

1 litre UHT milk
2-4 tablsp Dried milk powder (the more you add, the thicker the yog will be)
1 tablespoon of fresh live yog (used my last batch, or bought fresh every few weeks)
For LCHF I would probably add cream :hungry: too.

Mix the lot into the Easiyo yog inner tube (by shaking) then place inside the Easiyo maker thermos flask just as if making it up with an Easiyo sachet, and leave for 24 hrs.

All my attempts to make yog without the thermos, failed. Too cold in my kitchen. Impossible to get the correct, warm, constant conditions.

Nowadays I'm so lazy I buy the Easiyo sachets. And add cream. :wacky: I have no shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Back when I made yog from scratch, I used UHT milk (no need to sterilise) and an Easiyo yog maker. It's simpler and easier than phaffing with the boiling milk in saucepan.

2 litres UHT
2-4 tablsp Dried milk powder (the more you add, the thicker the yog will be)
1 tablespoon of fresh live yog (used my last batch, or bought fresh every few weeks)
For LCHF I would probably add cream :hungry: too.

Mix the lot into the Easiyo yog inner tube (by shaking) then place inside the Easiyo maker thermos flask just as if making it up with an Easiyo sachet, and leave for 24 hrs.

All my attempts to make yog without the thermos, failed. Too cold in my kitchen. Impossible to get the correct, warm, constant conditions.

Nowadays I'm so lazy I buy the Easiyo sachets. And add cream. :wacky: I have no shame.

Hi Brunneria , I was wondering how many carbohydrates are there in the easiyo sachets?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

It varies a lot! Depends on how much sweetener/sugar is added, but also, how long you leave the yog to brew - the longer you leave it, the more of the carb is eaten by the friendly bacteria. Also, if you drain the whey (the thin watery stuff off), then that is where most of the carbs are... Best option is to test your body's reaction, using a blood glucose meter.

But I started this thread on yog a while back, and it has a link to an article that explains things better than I can!
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/carbs-in-yogurt.60551/

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lakeland sell an electric yoghurt maker. Semi skimmed or whole UHT milk and some yoghurt from the previous batch, mix, switch on and leave for 10 plus hours. Check stir and when thick enough cool and fridge.
You can add dried milk etc.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:rolleyes: Wow result. Who needs yoghurt makers? I followed the video poured it into a lockable plastic box. Covered it with a kiddies blanket and got 2ltrs of lovely thick yogurt with no watery whey. For less than £2 and the next batch will only cost £1. With no sour cream or Greek yoghurt to buy. I have set some on one side for my starter for next week. I have added drained Morello Cherries which were quite high in carbs, but spread through 2ltrs of yoghurt is going to be negligible.

Reactions: 7 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
:rolleyes: Wow result. Who needs yoghurt makers? I followed the video poured it into a lockable plastic box. Covered it with a kiddies blanket and got 2ltrs of lovely thick yogurt with no watery whey. For less than £2 and the next batch will only cost £1. With no sour cream or Greek yoghurt to buy. I have set some on one side for my starter for next week. I have added drained Morello Cherries which were quite high in carbs, but spread through 2ltrs of yoghurt is going to be negligible.
Great stuff not had a go yet but will before weeks out.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:) Used whole milk, can't see the point in using any other and then adding milk powder.
PS. It tastes great.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I used whole milk. Can't see the point in using any other and adding dried milk powder.
How much milk and how much yog did you do it with?

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How much milk and how much yog did you do it with?
2ltrs Whole milk small pot plain Greek yoghurt , small pot sour cream. If you prefer a sour yoghurt they say add Lemon or Lime juice. Once made make sure you keep some back for your next batch. It makes loads so if there is only you eating it. I would do half that quantity.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
2ltrs Whole milk small pot plain Greek yoghurt , small pot sour cream. If you prefer a sour yoghurt they say add Lemon or Lime juice. Once made make sure you keep some back for your next batch. It makes loads so if there is only you eating it. I would do half that quantity.
Cheers.

Reactions: 3 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's called Total Fage.
Saw some of this myself in tescos picked up a pot someone must like it as it was the only one left on the shelf

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Saw some of this myself in tescos picked up a pot someone must like it as it was the only one left on the shelf
Careful you don't get the zero fat by mistake like my wife just did.
They swapped it for her.
It's identical but with zero % sign just after the word Total.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear indeed it has:(
Never mind it's only a small pot I'll keep my eye out for that in future.