Plant based diet.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @davgre !
A book, lol.......I have a tendency to do that.

First....I would get tested for the Type 1 antibodies. If positive it is a sign you are a type 1. I would also ask for a C-peptide test. Low or low normal means you don't make enough insulin and is a sign of being a type 1, high or high normal is a sign of being a type 2 as you are insulin resistant and making more insulin to make up for it.

It really is important to know which type you are, because treatment is likely to be different at some point. For a type 1, we have a honeymoon period where we can make insulin for up to 8 years plus and it can be erratic. That is one reason so many of us are misdiagnosed as a type 2 before we are properly identified as a type 1, lifestyle and diet changes can work at first. As a type 2, food and lifestyle changes can be used to control BG levels. Sometimes medication is needed to help. As a type 1, you eventually have to rely on insulin for every carb you eat. It's possible if you are a type 1 you are making enough insulin yourself still to handle a more low carb diet. It's also possible your basal insulin is high enough it's handling some food you eat. Because all veggies still have carbs, just some are very low in carbs. If you are a type 2 you are changing your diet enough to help control your BG levels.

I have been a type 1 for 19 years and I was misdiagnosed for over 8 years.1 was put on insulin fairly early as the meds they kept trying on me made me sick and I refused to take them anymore. I have been a vegetarian for 54 years and a vegan for 37 years. As a type 1, it's just a learning curve at the beginning because you have to learn how much insulin you need for what. In my case, I eat what I want as long as it's vegan, I just dose for it.. It's also a matter of timing. My hubby is/was a type 2, but he ate a lot of junk food. He didn't want to give up all of it as he still likes his treats. In his case he learned portion control, plus exercise really helps him. He still eats things like spaghetti, he just learned to eat it on a day he swims or at least a longer walk and his Bg levels are doing good. He takes Metformin and probably will stay on it as it has really helped him and he does still like his treats off and on. Exercise really helps either form of diabetes.

If you have changed your diet, low fat has a tendency to make you less insulin resistant. I notice the difference with even one high fat meal. High fat can even carry over to the next day. It's possible if you are dropping too low now, that you will need less basal insulin.

I have a tendency to think that your basal is too high. That your basal is handling some of the food you are eating. The problem with that is it's in your system all day, even when your carbs vary or you're not eating, hence you border on dropping too much. I would do a basal test to find out. But generally you are better off using a fast acting and adjusting it to what you are eating than to have your basal cover it, Basal is only supposed to cover the glucose that your liver makes all day if you didn't eat. Eating is where a bolus insulin like Novorapid comes in and you can vary it to what carbs you eat. You are eating carbs, it's in every vegetable, it's just lower in some than others.

I will be happy to help if you have any questions that I can help with! Here are directions for basal testing.

https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 388305

See my post here: