Please help I'm panicking

Beth mck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I test my sugars regularly and they are normally fine

Just took one and it was 2.9 and I started to panic as this is very unusual for me, I re tested multiple times on diff fingers and they were all between 5.2 to 7

Was the 2.9 a fluke or is something wrong I'm scared and panicking

Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: SaskiaKC and jjraak

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Just took one and it was 2.9 and I started to panic as this is very unusual for me, I re tested multiple times on diff fingers and they were all between 5.2 to 7

Thanks
If it was just the once, you didn’t feel ill, and you retested and found your normal range, then it suggests it was just an error reading.

Are you on any medications that could cause hypo?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Thanks
It is almost certainly a rogue reading. If I recall correctly the accuracy limits mean that a given fingerprick reading should be within 15% of the true value: but one in 20 strips is allowed to be outside that. That means in practice that one in twenty test strips could have given you a reading that's just about anywhere. I have occasionally had strips (Gluco RxQ) fail to register any BG value at all.

Because you've sensibly retested that rogue strip idea seems all the more likely, as your other readings were all OK.

edited for grammar

Last edited: