Podiatry

Maureen B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone know if type 2 diabetics are entitled to free podiatry treatment?

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know if type 2 diabetics are entitled to free podiatry treatment?
Much depends on what the problem is. In my area patients with diabetes or inflammatory arthritis are entitled to podiatry but only if they have certain problems. NHS podiatry is free but you do have to meet certain criteria and you would need to speak to your GP to get a referral. Not all diabetics can get it though, the podiatrists assess every referral to see if it meets their criteria. Speak to your GP

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You will be called in for a yearly foot check, they ask how your feet are, will look for wounds, check blood flow & do a simple nerve test. That is free, other podiatry isn't though. If a problem does occur, that needs checking, then you can call & get an emergency appointment.

Depending on if you have other problems, you could always ask. I actually turned up to book & pay privately for continual podiatry, as I'm disabled, in a wheelchair & can't actually reach my feet. I was told that it wouldn't be free, fair enough. Then she said, blow it, it should be, I'll book you in & it was/is free. I think I hit on a good day with a smashing person!