Polyols

CamGreen

I’m getting a little confused with some sugar free foods which say that they have polyols in them but are these ok for a low carb diet?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m getting a little confused with some sugar free foods which say that they have polyols in them but are these ok for a low carb diet?
Depends. Theoretically they don’t have such a big impact on blood sugars as ‘normal’ carbs. However, you need to test as some of them do for some people. Some of them, notably maltitol, also have a profound laxative effect. That particular one also sends my blood sugars into the stratosphere.

The other consideration is that many of the foods that contain polyols are ultra processed and not terribly good for you.

Edited to remove ridiculous autocorrect.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Malitol is known to affect many blood glucose meters and leads to inaccurate results. It is not only the sugar alcohols, but the poly saccharides such as maltodextrin, which are not listed as sugars, but act as sugars. The dreaded MSG is another starch that does not get counted as a sugar, but acts like one. Be wary of emulsified starches, and HFCS if listed.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I remember polyols - I became so bloated I thought I was going to explode. I have avoided them ever since.

Reactions: PiersAaron