Porridge OFF the menu!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... menus.html

About BL**DY time! Porridge is keeping diabetics in poor health while they're in hospital! (But, why should breakfast be any different to the rest of the cr*p you're fed while in hospital?)

BUT - it's not all good news:

From Monday, April 4, patients at Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle, and West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, will be offered a choice of five breakfast cereals - but they will only be allowed porridge if it is specifically prescribed by a dietician.

AND - it gets worse:

Therefore it has been decided that our dieticians will nutritionally assess patients. If they require porridge for their condition, they can have this to order in the form of Quaker Oats So Simple individual packets which can be made up quickly in the microwave on wards.

This is the most ridiculous thing they could do!!! Those individual packs are PACKED with sugar (and, obviously, carbs) and so once the patients get a taste for it, they'll start having them every morning. They are sickly sweet - and when your BG is running high, you often crave sweet things.

The dietician will advise that a diabetic has porridge for breakfast. "Is porridge available?" they'll ask (by e-mail) to the wards. "Yes" will be the answer. "Great" the dietician will say - without realising that there is corn syrup, glucose and apple syrup in the porridge that the ward supplies to the patients.

It'll catch on, and then the NHS will have a massive, costly review to see how they are going to afford all of the individual packs of porridge that are gonna be gobbled up by uninformed, sugar craving patients who think those sugar packed porridge packets are healthy. Because the dietician TOLD THEM it is healthy.

THEN - the NHS will start buying porridge (the plain stuff) in bulk. The patients won't like it - because there is no corn syrup, glucose or apple syrup in it (although some carb sensitive patients will still get a "hit" from the carbs). The porridge doesn't get eaten. The cycle begins all over again.

Imagine, becoming accustomed (addicted?) to a food that you SHOULD NOT eat at all, IN HOSPITAL, and then buying it and keeping it in the cupbord at home. That's gonna send you right back to hospital.

We're doomed. I pray to God I never have to visit a hospital.

Hospitals are getting ready for privitisation, by ensuring repeat custom!!! :lol:

(Get he patients hooked on th efood that will make them sick, while they're in hospital for being sick!)

I don't trust 'em one little bit.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually the West Cumberland is my local hospital where I was diagnosed -I found the food surprisingly quite good there (not so I believe for the Carlisle one)- I saw 2 dietitians and a DSN while in and they gave me good advice about reducing carbs etc - - they told me not to have juice at breakfast and to watch if I had porridge to eat a small amount - so not all that bad.

As a matter of fact I have never been told to eat "plenty" of carbs by any HCP I have seen in the area so maybe we are ahead of the rest of the country up here in the stix :lol: