Porridge

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been sitting here for a couple of hours try to work a few things out , just having had a starving BT aT hospital.

i bought a Tee2+ a few weeks ago and have been cutting carbs and testing before and after meals .
on reading all the wonderful information on here , most people seem to quote a HBA1C ? Which I noticed on my doc records , but can’t get on my meter , so I only have a mmo/L number.?

another thing is porridge , good or bad ?

also are all the diet sites for recipes paying ones ? As worried about signing up to something I can’t afford in the long run?

gathering recipes from everywhere I can , I seem to have lost interest in cooking but am trying ( yes very trying , that’s how it gets at 83)
I tried the cabbage mash which I loved and will replace potatoes for me ,
i tried to make bread rolls at w.e ( never been a baker) they were. Disgusting,straight in the bin , turned purple in the making .But I do like bread usually eat sourdough! Looking for something to have at least a slice of bread per day .
Still looking for advise ,
thank you
You won't get a real HbA1c on your meter. HbA1c doesn't actually measure blood glucose levels - instead it counts the number of glycated red blood cells - that's the cells that have had a glucose molecule attached to them. Because red blood cells live about 12 weeks, the test gives you a workable average for blood glucose for that period, skewed heavily towrds the most recent weeks. It's established to be a good proxy for average blood glucose, and it's used to make almost all diagnostic decisions. There are a few cases where other tests are often preferred - eg for gestational diabetes.

So your HbA1c is the overview of your blood glucose for the last three months, and the mmol/l glucose meter is the snapshot of what's happening to your blood glucose right now.

I buy "bread" and get a monthly delivery - it's a decent alternative, but it's not really bread - from SRSLY. It keeps well in the fidge or freezer.

The wraps and rolls work well. The "not cross" buns are excellent. It's all a bit more expensive than bread from the supermarkets but the carb count is very low - if I recall correctly under 3g carb for a roll.

I find dietdoctor useful for general info:

there are paid parts of the site, but I've never paid a penny and there's lots of good info for free.

There are also meal plans/recipes on this site here:

Porridge - I wish. Far too many carbs for my daily set-up. I used to have 250g of porridge as a medium serving - at 60% carb that would be a week's worth of carb these days. Incidentally, you'll see misleading internet claims that oatmeal has only 12g carb per 100g. This is simply untrue - Quaker Oats (for one example) confirm the 60g per 100g figure.

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks again KennyA,
will certainly try the bread out , is rye bread any good? Health shop said ok, but they also told me natural oats were but obviously not .
i will follow up on the meal plans again.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been sitting here for a couple of hours try to work a few things out , just having had a starving BT aT hospital.

i bought a Tee2+ a few weeks ago and have been cutting carbs and testing before and after meals .
on reading all the wonderful information on here , most people seem to quote a HBA1C ? Which I noticed on my doc records , but can’t get on my meter , so I only have a mmo/L number.?
Evening @Thornliebank.

Well done for testing before and after your meals and adjusting their carb content where necessary. Type 2 diabetes is a very individual disorder and we're all a little different, so home testing is the only way to assess the effect of our meals on blood glucose levels.

Yes, your meter gives results in mmol/L whereas the HbA1c test is in mmol/mol. The two tests measure different things.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You won't get a real HbA1c on your meter. HbA1c doesn't actually measure blood glucose levels - instead it counts the number of glycated red blood cells - that's the cells that have had a glucose molecule attached to them. Because red blood cells live about 12 weeks, the test gives you a workable average for blood glucose for that period, skewed heavily towrds the most recent weeks. It's established to be a good proxy for average blood glucose, and it's used to make almost all diagnostic decisions. There are a few cases where other tests are often preferred - eg for gestational diabetes.

So your HbA1c is the overview of your blood glucose for the last three months, and the mmol/l glucose meter is the snapshot of what's happening to your blood glucose right now.

I buy "bread" and get a monthly delivery - it's a decent alternative, but it's not really bread - from SRSLY. It keeps well in the fidge or freezer.

The wraps and rolls work well. The "not cross" buns are excellent. It's all a bit more expensive than bread from the supermarkets but the carb count is very low - if I recall correctly under 3g carb for a roll.

I find dietdoctor useful for general info:

there are paid parts of the site, but I've never paid a penny and there's lots of good info for free.

There are also meal plans/recipes on this site here:

Porridge - I wish. Far too many carbs for my daily set-up. I used to have 250g of porridge as a medium serving - at 60% carb that would be a week's worth of carb these days. Incidentally, you'll see misleading internet claims that oatmeal has only 12g carb per 100g. This is simply untrue - Quaker Oats (for one example) confirm the 60g per 100g figure.
Evening @KennyA.

Thanks for this. Interrupteded by a phone call, I posted before noticing your comprehensive response to @Thornliebank's questions.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again KennyA,
will certainly try the bread out , is rye bread any good? Health shop said ok, but they also told me natural oats were but obviously not .
i will follow up on the meal plans again.
The problem with the health shop advice seems to be that they're not advising you about what you need to do to deal with high blood glucose. The only way to be sure is to try the food item in isolation, testing before you eat and again two hours later. The meter result will tell you how you dealt with the carb in the food (and there will be a lot of carb in grains, including rye bread or oats).

Ideally your system will have dealt with the glucose lift inside the two hours, and your blood glucose levels should be back at or near where you started - no more than 2mmol/l higher, anyway. This wouldn't happen for me with (eg) bread or pastry (or it didn't happen last time I tried anything similar) and I therefore don't eat that sort of thing.

I have had relatives asking me "what they tell me to eat" on my odd diet - the answer I give is that there's nothing that I must eat, but there's a fair amount that I mustn't.

Thornliebank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I did try the porridge again today and yes quite right it’s not good for us tests up from 6.8 wake up to 8.1 afters small amount of porridge / berries and Greek yogurt.

can anyone send me a link for recipes site that doesn’t require a subscription,
thank to all

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I did try the porridge again today and yes quite right it’s not good for us tests up from 6.8 wake up to 8.1 afters small amount of porridge / berries and Greek yogurt.

can anyone send me a link for recipes site that doesn’t require a subscription,
thank to all
There is plenty on Diet Doctor that you don't need to pay for.