Post DKA

saslou25

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Firstly apologies if i have posted this in the wrong area.

My partner was on tablets for his type 2 diabetes for about 5 years then in January lost a lot of weight, was going to the bathroom more often, couldn't quench his thirst and started to feel unwell. On 16th Feb i came home from work and my partner was slurring his words, looked so ill and was staring into space but he didn't want to go to the hospital (stubborn man, lol). Anyway his sister and mum came round as i was very concerned and we called an ambulance. He was admitted to hospital and spent 5 hours in resus then went up to Intensive care as he had diabetic ketoacidosis. He spent 5 days in hospital on a insulin drip then was discharged and is now on insulin 3 times a day before food and 1 injection in the evening. My partner was a HGV driver but now working in the yard until he gets his license back. He initially had 2 weeks off work but had to go back due to financial commitments. One month on and his body is still hurting. He states every inch of his body hurts and doesn't know what to do. He spoke to his doctor but he doesn't know why my partner is hurting. Could it be that his muscles are being beefed up again and being used? or is this just a side effect of the DKA.

I'm scared to even hug him in case i hurt him but i do massage his feet and back from time to time, just to try and take away a bit of the pain.

I've tried finding out information online about post DKA but can't find anything relevant.

Have you experienced a DKA and what were the side effects you had to endure afterwards and for how long? Do you have any advice i can give him so help him get through this period. My partner was sitting on the edge of the bed getting ready for work this evening and it broke my heart as i was talking to a man who sincerely looked broken. If i had the money i'd tell him to take some more time off work to try and recuperate but unfortunately that just isn't the case.

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to read this and i truly appreciate any feedback and guidance in relation to the above.

Laura93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I had a dka last June and since then I have been in constant pain like your husband. It took me till December after a long hard battle with doctors for them to diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. So I was wondering if he has any of the symptoms of this. Also he should write down when his pain gets worse through the days to see if there is any patterns. Hope this helps

saslou25

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my gosh Laura93, i am sorry to hear that. I'll research peripheral neuropathy and see what i can find on this subject. Thank you so much for the heads up. Take care xx

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I had dka in 2010, I was in and out of hospital for two weeks with it, I was violently sick and was totally off food. When I was discharged it took me about a month to get over it (I'd never really been ill before this) but I don't remember anything like that happening. I was quite weak after, that's all I really remember about. I doubt this helps. X

saslou25

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sarah69. His immune system previous to the DKA was pretty amazing. His illnesses would last 20 mins then fighting fit but he's never experienced the pain he's in now so we can only put it down to the DKA although our GP doesn't know why he's in pain now. Maybe because it hit him hard, his body just needs a little more time to get over it, oh i dont know!!