Post Newcastle Diet Liver Scan

EdMac

So I'm wondering if anyone has had this done and what they paid and whether they would recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
My fasting readings are between 5.0 and 6.0 but never below 5.0. This isn't necessarily an issue and any tests I've done randomly have all been in normal range - although I haven't tested strictly at intervals before and after meals.
Hi EdMac
Sorry no experience in the Liver scanning so no help there
Your BG's are all in the normal range which is fantastic.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Edmac
Joined this forum (against my better judgement - I am a very private person) so I could try and answer your question.
I had an ultrasound scan a few weeks ago, as a male of the species I was disappointed to discover I wasnt pregnant!
The scan looked at my pancreas, liver, aorta, kidneys and prostrate. The pics are at home but I will either upload them here later or PM them to you.
The results were bitter sweet for me as they showed only a trace of fat on both my pancreas and liver. I was hoping for loads, as at least I would know what needed to be done.
What these images do not show is how well your various organs function

HTH

Reactions: 4 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't you ask your GP to refer you for an abdominal ultrasound? When I was diagnosed with T2D, blood tests also showed an elevated liver enzyme, so I was sent to have an US to check that it wasn't something more sinister. Luckily, it was just fat - the US operator told me I had fatty liver, which was not a surprise as everything else in me was fatty too!

Once I've reached the "normal" BMI range I plan to request another abdominal US from the GP, to compare the results. I'm not sure whether it would be granted, but asking is free...

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately the image is too dark. However fat would show up as a bright area. My £139 gave me some snaps, a report on Liver, CBD, Kidneys, Pancreas, Pancreatic Duct, Spleen, Aorta, Lt & Rt lliac artery, Prostrate and bladder, with a tick in the 'appears normal' box and measurements where appropriate. Most importantly it gave me reassurance

Attachments

• liver.PNG
    liver.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 446
Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Edmac, If you are in the UK and your GGT is over 100 you should be able to have an ultrasound liver scan and get the results via your GP. I have a high GGT but it is not due to alcohol. If you don't have your blood results just ask the practice for copy, you have a right to have them if you wish. Derek