Potential pre diabetes.

Turner90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning I need a little advice. My daughter is 5 years old and we have been testing her blood sugars and they are between 6.0 and 8.5. Do you think I need to get her checked out by doctors to see if she has diabetes? I am a type 1 diabetic for 26 years but still after a little advice.

Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Morning I need a little advice. My daughter is 5 years old and we have test her blood sugars and they are between 6.0 and 8.5. Do you think I need to get her checked out by doctors to see if she has diabetes? I am a type 1 diabetic for 26 years but still after a little advice.

Thanks

Why do you 'have' to test her blood sugars @Turner90 ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Sorry my mistake. It should of said have been..

OK cool. But then I guess I'd ask why you've been doing it? It's probably quite a stressful thing for a 5 yr old, are you just concerned about the hereditary aspect of diabetes?

Is the 8.5mmol a fasting level?

You will know from you own experience that meters can be +/- 15% on the readings so if yours is reading on the high side then your daughter could still be within the 'normal' range. But I guess as a parent you want peace of mind and only a professional opinion can give that to you.