Potluck suggestions

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a potluck event coming up, and I’ve got to admit I’m very blank on what I could bring as my contribution. Do you guys have any suggestions? I used to make a quiche or even mini quiches, but pastry is out (I would rather avoid trying to make low carb pastry for the first time for a dish to be shared.) Perhaps a salad of some type would be acceptable?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
okay a couple of quick ideas from me- I completely get the issue

Some chicken wings - we also make some blue cheese dip to go with them.
a platter with cheese, prosciutto, maybe olive dip or something. You can make crackers by spreading grated parmesan cheese on some baking paper on a plate and microwaving for about 1 minute

Reactions: KitSileya

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to make a quiche or even mini quiches, but pastry is out
What about something like these tuna melt 'muffins'?
They're really tasty, both cold and warm, and easy to transport, and they're also very forgiving to not following the recipe to the letter. :)

• 5 oz. can of tuna fish, drained5 oz. can of tuna fish, drained
    • 2 large eggs2 large eggs
    • 1/4 cup sour cream¼ cup sour cream
    • 1/4 cup real mayonnaise¼ cup real mayonnaise
    • 1/4 cup onion, chopped¼ cup onion, chopped
    • 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    • 3/4 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded¾ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
    • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
    • dash of salt & pepperdash of salt & pepper
    • 20 slices jalapenos from a jar20 slices jalapenos from a jar
Steps
    • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin.Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
    • In a mixing bowl combine tuna, eggs, sour cream, mayo, onions, cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.In a mixing bowl combine tuna, eggs, sour cream, mayo, onions, cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.
    • Fill muffin pan with mixture, evenly. Top each muffin with a few slices of jalapenos. (This batch made 7 muffins)Fill muffin pan with mixture, evenly. Top each muffin with a few slices of jalapenos. (This batch made 7 muffins)
    • Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

source: https://hip2keto.com/recipes/keto-tuna-cups/

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you usually make quiche, why not convert it to a frittata and do away with the pastry all together?

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 Thank you for your suggestion. I don't eat seafood due to shellfish intolerance (once you've been sick enough times because someone swore your fish was shellfish free, but forgot to mention they poached the fish in shellfish broth, or had shellfish broth in the sauce, it tends to color your opinion of all seafood, unfortunately.) Do you think using chicken or ham would work?

@In Response A frittata is absolutely a possibility. I was looking at frittatas as lunch options (the potluck is a get-together with colleagues the first day of the school year) so perhaps that would be an easy solution.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always used to do a feta cheese salad for my staff room gatherings. People used to ask to make sure I would be doing one.

Reactions: lovinglife

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 Thank you for your suggestion. I don't eat seafood due to shellfish intolerance (once you've been sick enough times because someone swore your fish was shellfish free, but forgot to mention they poached the fish in shellfish broth, or had shellfish broth in the sauce, it tends to color your opinion of all seafood, unfortunately.) Do you think using chicken or ham would work?
That's a very understandable reason to avoid all seafood!

Someone makes a similar thing with bacon instead of tuna. I'm not sure if I remember correctly who it was though but I'll have a guess and tag @Rachox . Was that you? Or do you remember who it was?

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuna salad - Tuna, olive oil (lots), fresh coriander, bit of chopped onion and red pepper, and cannellini/kidney beans. Salt and pepper.

Wash the beans, cook the beans and then wash them again, removing as much starch as possible. Allow to cool and add to salad. Mix well. You can add more green salad (lettuce etc) as required. Goes well with hard boiled eggs.

Avocado and feta salad. Couple of avocodos sliced, diced feta, some pomegranate seeds. Bit of lemon or lime juice.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure his salad would work well with chicken or ham. :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edam cheese crisps with a couple of dips, my family and friends make me do these every time there’s a get together, you can add some sticks of cucumber, celery, pepper and little tomatoes on sticks to dip in too

Edam crisps - a pack of sliced Edam cheese cut the squares into 4 triangles and lay out with space between on greaseproof paper- not foil they will weld to it. In a hot for 15 minutes or until they start to bubble and turn brown round the edges, take out of the oven and leave to cool, peel off and store in an airtight container- beware they are addictive!

Dips
couple of tablespoons of Greek yogurt and one of mayo mix together add some harissa paste to taste season to taste

2 or spoons Greek yogurt and a blob of mayo to stabilise- grate some cucumber and finely chopped fresh mint and stir all together season to taste

Dips are best made the day before

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I might have misunderstood - my experience of potlucks is that other people eat the thing you bring, and you eat what they've brought..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a very understandable reason to avoid all seafood!

Someone makes a similar thing with bacon instead of tuna. I'm not sure if I remember correctly who it was though but I'll have a guess and tag @Rachox . Was that you? Or do you remember who it was?
Yes! It was me, the link to the recipe no longer works but here’s a screen shot of my notes, I just substitute three or four rashers of bacon for the tuna sometimes:

IMG_8553.jpg

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I make cheesy eggs in a bun tin. 2 eggs to a tablespoon of cream makes up to 3 buns (depending on size), blend the egg and cream with black pepper.
Put some grated strong cheddar into the bun tin, add chives or paprika, then spoon the egg mix in until 2/3 full.
Bake at 360/180C for about 12/13 mins until turning brown and the buns just are just firm. Store in the fridge.
you can add cooked red pepper or mushrooms or .... place gently on the top of the egg before baking
they puff up in the oven but go a bit flat as they cool.

My go-to dessert is 90%, or 85%, chocolate carefully melted then warmed double cream stirred in plus a little sweetener if needed. Whisk it then pour into a bowl,
leave in the fridge until set then top with fresh raspberries
no idea how much cream but I start with 3 to 6 squares of chocolate depending on the number of servings you need
I make sure I hold back a small bowl for myself to enjoy while everyone else eats the other cakes and desserts.