Powerful TEDx Talk on Diabetes, Obesity, and the Low Carb Diet by Sarah Hallberg MD

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The only literature or posters that are allowed are by diabetes.co.uk... (Although private hospitals can of course advertise!!) so until diabetes co uk start changing.... Nothing will ever improve.

To me..'life is balance".... They don't offer balance of questions or opinions or advice etc.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Actually what annoys me is that Southport GP can find the time and caring to look at and actually research and guide with his patients but the rest of the GP and NHS staff are blinkered.

I think it takes a lot to stand up out of the crowd and southportGP is doing this. It puts the rest of (certainly) my GPs to shame as they can't even be bothered to attend PPG meetings or have any interest outside what they were taught at medical school.

Some consultants that I work for bicycle from London to Paris to raise funds for their hospital etc. They still care outside of work.

I seem to be in a Practice (like many of us) where the GPs can't even get out of bed for £100 an hour outside Monday to Friday 8.30-5.30 working. They don't seem to realise that todays society with shops and distribution staff etc having to work 24/7/365 due to them brleing able to have weekends and evenings off to shop etc.

My rant over today. Sorry. De railed.... Will push myself into a siding, and get off my high horse!!

Again, thanks to SouthportGP for being different and for caring beyond the paypacket. As we posters do here.. We care for others, but also do it in our own time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Southport GP.

Hi, just wondering if you have ever come across my condition?
Without, scanning medical journals or trawling through the internet, how would you advise the condition to be treated?

Sorry for bothering you. If you have time!!!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Would do but my Practice totally ban any discussion at all ref lower carbs with any patients or GPs or DSNs. A total ban. No mention, no discussion. Zilch.

That's nice and scientific of them!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's nice and scientific of them!

I know, tell me about it.... Blinkered to the extreme! I thank my lucky stars that I have such a superb consultant. Just the rest of the patients I actually feel concerned for.
Many, many patients when I talk to them ask how I keep lean and appearing so healthy and I'm banned from mentioning lower carbs...

Obviously keeps the doctors busy and paid to medicate.. Thats my theory. Chronic shame when SouthportGP can actively research and work with his patients to improve theur health, at least Southport GP has the insight and time and management of his team to look at root causes as other businesses would do if there was a problem with their business procedures.

Reactions: 2 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
donnellysdogs, can you start an independent support group? If just one person found their way to your group, the word would slowly get out. You'd of course have to be strategic in the group's promotion, outside the medical practice only. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
donnellysdogs, can you start an independent support group? If just one person found their way to your group, the word would slowly get out. You'd of course have to be strategic in the group's promotion, outside the medical practice only. :)

I have thought of this but it would be difficult because running the group would still be with my name.. And everybody knows me....even the gym locally still emphasises the eat carbs aspect... Totally frustrating...

I think of the old Berlin Wall and think how it took so many people to finally get it destroyed.. But one person trying to scale it would be shot. That's the position I am in. Can't even chisel at the brickwork. Would have to go totally underground and dig a tunnel!! Ans still probably get dragged out and shot!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see, this is because you work for a medical practice, not because you're a patient. I hadn't thought about that. Here's one more idea...

With your employer's okay - (no sense in losing your job) - you might be able to promote this online forum by printing up 3 1/2" x 8 1/2" fliers on card stock, but without any personal contact information, for distribution where ever their are public bulletin boards in your community. Business sized cards could work too.

My plan, whether I do or don't start a local LCHF support group this fall is to do exactly that, but to include contact info for all the local diabetes groups too, with their permission of course. I figure if I can't start a group, I can at least get information out about all of our local diabetes support groups including this online forum (because it's my favorite diabetes forum. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I see, this is because you work for a medical practice, not because you're a patient. I hadn't thought about that. Here's one more idea...

With your employer's okay - (no sense in losing your job) - you might be able to promote this online forum by printing up 3 1/2" x 8 1/2" fliers on card stock, but without any personal contact information, for distribution where ever their are public bulletin boards in your community. Business sized cards could work too.

My plan, whether I do or don't start a local LCHF support group this fall is to do exactly that, but to include contact info for all the local diabetes groups too, with their permission of course. I figure if I can't start a group, I can at least get information out about all of our local diabetes support groups including this online forum (because it's my favorite diabetes forum. :)

No I don't work for a GP practice but they all know me very well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Would be a great idea to start up a National Low Carb Group... Like Slimming World. I would get away with that!!! (I think!!)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Diabetic Resistance "

Love it ! :D I can just see me wearing a balaclava smuggling in contraband contact cards and daubing the slogan " Carbs Are Killers" in red jam on the practice wall :D

The good news is that there are some more enlightened and underground HCP's who are selective ( according to the recipient ) in giving out different advice to the party line .;)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I got a tshirt printed "cut the carbs". would be great to get printed!!

Reactions: 6 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would buy one of those shirts!

It is tough to go against the grain. Recently, I told a colleague (and friend) that I was a new diabetic and she was shocked and somewhat wary of my food plan. She is also a nurse and her immediate comment was "With all you know, how can you think eating larger quantities of fat like butter and cream can be good for your HDL and triglycerides?" After explaining what I understand of the science, she actually asked for this website address to direct a family friend to...who has Type 1. She wanted to know more.

It is a new way of thinking and GPs, nurses, and other mid-level providers have yet to see the research. I think a great deal of that has to do with the fact that many of those providers have been schooled and practiced since the low fat recommendations came out in the 70's. That is all they have ever heard and learned.

@donnellysdogs you could plant the seed. Start the conversation.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ooh, I planted the seed alright and it got totally wiped with weedkiller!!!

They can see I am so lean and healthy, good hba1c, good cholesterol and they totally dismiss and say "what duits you doesn't suit the rest". Been there and done it.. Shot to pueces for it..

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, I planted the seed alright and it got totally wiped with weedkiller!!!

They can see I am so lean and healthy, good hba1c, good cholesterol and they totally dismiss and say "what duits you doesn't suit the rest". Been there and done it.. Shot to pueces for it..

Don't give up. I would ask them why it doesn't "suit the rest". Put the ball in their court.

You would be sick and unhealthy if you followed the NHS guidelines. But you didn't and you have thrived. There has to be more people like you. Actually, this forum is filled with them! ;)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Don't give up. I would ask them why it doesn't "suit the rest". Put the ball in their court.

You would be sick and unhealthy if you followed the NHS guidelines. But you didn't and you have thrived. There has to be more people like you. Actually, this forum is filled with them! ;)

Good point!! Thankyou. I will try
Again!!

Gavinspurs

I have to totally agree. I became a type 2 diabetic at 31 (35 now) and have struggled to keep good control. I'm a skinny frame guy but always put fat on my belly and face very easy and no amount of exercise would help. So last summer I decided to do Atkins low card diet and within 3 weeks I lost 2 stone, felt best I have since a teenager and made exercising so easy I wanted to do more. My next diabetic review with Dr was a complete surprise - I was pre diabetic after 3.5 years of struggling! Unfortunately my first child was born at Xmas and through tiredness and easy options I slipped back to old ways and my weight shot up and my recent Dr review has put me on the highest dose of metformin & also sitagliptin with worst set of bloods for over a year. I'm now back on induction phase determine to stick with it but forgot how hard it is to give up bread and potatoes. Everything in supermarkets in UK is not geared towards low carb. Sorry for the big message- just very inspired by the TED video and wanted to share my experience. Cheers- gav

Reactions: 7 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I happened upon this 18 minute TEDx presentation today while rewatching Jason Fung lectures. I checked, and it's already been posted, but it's so good it deserves its own topic. Powerful presentation. She really nailed it. See for yourself...

She's adorable (New Yorker ?) thanks for posting this, it was interesting.

Gavinspurs, I go to a huge 24hr Tesco Extra with my mother occasionally and it really brings it home to me how much 'food' in supermarkets, is manufactured, processed rubbish. It can be really difficult to pick up anything to have for lunch/snack on.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good point!! Thankyou. I will try
Again!!

Donnellysdogs - Your GP cannot tell you what to say to another individual if you are dissociated from the surgery. They can however instruct you not to talk about anything they like that they don't support, if you are purporting to speak on their behalf, or state your views are that of the practise. And, of course, the practise can choose what and whom they endorse, and in this case, it isn't LCHF. Going head to head with them is likely to be a fruitless task and end up with them asking you to find another GP. is the grass necessarily greener elsewhere?

I believe it is a matter of time before the wider medical profession's view regarding dietary approach to glycaemic control changes. I think we are already seeing in, but that sort of seismic change takes time to happen. Obviously, that doesn't help those struggling now. But, you can choose how to move forward. You can wait it out or do your own thing, promoting LCHF, making it clear you are doing so without reference or relationship with the practise. Clearly the latter impacts on easy access to your potential audience. Pioneers have struggles. This could be yours.

It's disappointing to read of your relationship with your practise, as I thought you had a great relationship with them, and they were impressed by your way of living? I have oft said, I feel for general practitioners these days. They have so many pulls and demands on their time, it must be impossible to stay across the detail of any of the "big ticket epidemics" we have on our hands. By that, I mean diabetes, stress, hypertension, back pain and so on, and on. The pressure must be relentless.