Pre-conception worries

Helenpgp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

completely new to this... i've been diagnosed T2 for almost 2 years now, apparently I was diabetic alot longer than that but was never picked up on.

I'm meeting with my diabetic nurse on monday to be started on Insulin - i'm feeling slightly lost and out of my depth and I know this needs to happen for me to have a healthy pregnancy. I had a miscarriage at 6-8 weeks in 2012 and have had nothing since, GP thinks it's cos i was diabetic then but no one ever tested me until I said I think i'm diabetic a year later - my dad is also T2 and gave me 'warning signs' to look out for.

My blood sugar levels are at 9.3% at the moment and i know this is too high for conceiving and the tablets i'm on aren't working as well as they could be to bring my blood sugar down - GP took me off another tablet as it wasn't safe during pregnancy and as we were thinking about trying he took me off it straight away!

I was wondering what else i could do to bring down my sugars? i've cut out most starchy carbs and i'm losing weight so i know that will help, but have you guys got any other tips?
Also, out of curiosity how long did it take for you guys to conceive after your blood sugar came down to exceptable level?

Helen :)

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry about to read about your miscarriage, Helen. My HbA1C has never been around 9% so I can't comment on whether that's stopping you conceiving, but I do know that fertility problems are very common - in everyone diabetic or not. Apparently one in six couples have problems. If, for,you, its related to your blood sugar then that's good in a way as hopefully you can sort that relatively simply.

Don't be scared of the insulin. It's a big thing at first to have to have injections, but you soon get used to it and it becomes routine like brushing your teeth. The insulin should really help you get your sugars down, I hope.

It soun like you're doing everything right - losing weight, taking steps to improve your sugars, reducing carbs. You didn't mention exercise, but that's good too, especially for controlling sugars after eating. Even a short walk can help.

My advice is to take one step at a time. Get used to the insulin and plenty of blood testing at home. Get your HbA1C down. Get healthy in general. It can be a bit overwhelming but concentrate on each step as you move forward.

You don't say how old you are, but you may want to just ask for some basic tests from your GP to put your mind at rest that all's ok. For me, it took a while to conceive and then we found out my partner had issues. Im glad he had that simple test.

Good luck :)

Helenpgp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.
I'm 27 and we have had the basic tests and everything has come back clear and all in working order so that's why my GP thinks it's my blood sugar that's holding us back. I do 3 hours of swimming a week and 2 sessions of Aqua fit a week.

Thank you for your advice though,

Helen

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news about the tests :)

You do plenty of exercise! Sorry, I wasnt implying you didn't, so I hope it didn't come across that way. It's just one of the things I thought of when I was thinking about how I control my sugars.

I hope the move on to insulin goes well. It all sounds very positive :)

Helenpgp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's all good :) hadn't thought of putting it in the thread.... Thank you... I know it will be just slightly apprehensive :)