Pre-diabete diagnosis. Now what?

jacbabbit

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
I've been to the doctor today for some blood results and been diagnosed with pre-diabetes with a reading of 42. I understand this is borderline normal/pre so know there's no need to panic, but i'm just looking for some advice as to what foods to avoid, etc as doing a quick search online throws up conflicting advice!

I currently eat a lot of fruit and veg (all kinds), potatoes, pasta, normally porridge for breakfast, fish (was vegetarian for years but after 5 years of craving fish I decided my body obviously needed it), probably too much chocolate, very rarely drink alcohol. I could do with losing a couple of stone, and need to exercise more (also have Joint Hypermobility Syndrome so exercise is hit and miss as I injure easily), and i'm anaemic.

Any basic advice on what I can/can't eat would be very much appreciated.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am prediabetic too. You have certainly come to the right place!

People far more expert than I will soon be along to give you some excellent advice.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @jacbabbit and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members. Not all of this will apply to you but it would be good for you to follow the diet advice. You need to cut down on the carbohydrates that you eat. That way you might be able to avoid progression to full diabetes. Ask plenty of questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are barely pre-diabetic so you are in a position to do something about it which will result in the slowing or arrest of the condition.

The condition is diagnosed by measuring your blood sugar and if it is high then it shows a problem. We are all then sent home and told to keep our blood sugars low. The foods that raise them are carbohydrates,the ones that do that most are sugar, flour, potatoes and rice. Other foods also contain carbohydrates although not so much.

So cut down on sugar, flour, potatoes and rice. You won't have to stop eating them altogether but you must be watchful about not eating too much. Most of us buy a blood glucose monitor and test 2 hours after meals to find out how much of what we can eat without problems.

For the moment I suggest you cut out fizzy drinks and any other sugar. Flour is as bad as sugar so stay off cakes and (sorry) bread. The chocolates will have to go unless you buy high cocoa versions and only have it in smallish quantities.

That's enough to be going on with I guess.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Great advice from the others already. The other culprit @Squire Fulwood forgot to mention is pasta, and also cereals. No need to cut these things out completely (except the sugar - that needs to go) as you are only just out of the non-diabetic range, but you need to reduce your portions and the number of times you have them in a week.

Losing your excess weight will help enormously if you can manage this, and try to have some exercise daily. A 30 minute briskish walk is fine.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

Great advice from the others already. The other culprit @Squire Fulwood forgot to mention is pasta,

When I first wrote about the four horsemen of the apocalypse (sugar, flour, potatoes and rice) one of the first questions I got was, "Does that include pasta?". I almost never ate pasta and never cooked it but isn't it made from flour? I genuinely don't know much about it.

If I squint up my eyes and read your post I think I've been called a culprit. Such an honour.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first wrote about the four horsemen of the apocalypse (sugar, flour, potatoes and rice) one of the first questions I got was, "Does that include pasta?". I almost never ate pasta and never cooked it but isn't it made from flour? I genuinely don't know much about it.

If I squint up my eyes and read your post I think I've been called a culprit. Such an honour.

:hilarious: Sorry! It does read as though you are a culprit. Unintentional. I suppose pasta is made with flour, but I'm like you. I never ate pasta either and no-one in my household has ever cooked it or even bought it.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:hilarious: Sorry! It does read as though you are a culprit. Unintentional. I suppose pasta is made with flour, but I'm like you. I never ate pasta either and no-one in my household has ever cooked it or even bought it.

So that's another excuse people can't use. "I'm not eating flour because it's pasta really". Surprising how many people asked about that.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Just agreeing with all the above. It's encouraging when people such as yourself join our happy band at an early stage. It can save so many years of suffering. Well done.

Reactions: 6 people

jacbabbit

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks All - both for the advice and the warm welcome :)

I'm currently writing a Good/OK/Bad list of foods to pin to the fridge to help me remember what I should and shouldn't be eating! No doubt i'll have more questions as I come across foods not on the list yet.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Thanks All - both for the advice and the warm welcome :)

I'm currently writing a Good/OK/Bad list of foods to pin to the fridge to help me remember what I should and shouldn't be eating! No doubt i'll have more questions as I come across foods not on the list yet.
My Good/Bad items are almost the opposite of what the "healthy" plate dietary guidelines has for good and bad.

Good luck!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oh don't worry, I've gone from what i've read on here, not from any NHS site or similar!

Sorry, I wan't implying anything by the two statements. They were just two unconnected thoughts. If you're on this forum I have no doubt you are going to be fine with your food choices.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome @jacbabbit

It's probably all a bit confusing right now but there's a mass of information and advice on here and everyone is really, really helpful. It's my main source of info on diabetes and I confess I now have to log on most (probably every day) now to see what's going on ;)

My HbA1c was 41 when I got diagnosed as pre-diabetic so very similar to yourself. Spend time browsing the various threads and the things that interest you and you'll learn a lot. What I have learnt is to cut carbs and reduce sugar. Veggies that grow below ground are NOT good i.e. potatoes, parsnips, swedes and those grown above ground are the good guys. You do learn to adapt and I've learnt that I do like greek yoghurt! Fish is good and it's something I'm eating a lot more of i.e. salmon and mackerel. As far as I know, just avoid it in batter or crumb - eat it natural/fresh if you can (someone will correct me if this is wrong).

Like you I love pasta and I also used to eat at least one chocolate bar a day (as part of my lunch at work). I now buy at least 70% dark chocolate and have some of that and it does satisfy my chocolate craving.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask questions :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @jacbabbit

Fish is good and it's something I'm eating a lot more of i.e. salmon and mackerel. As far as I know, just avoid it in batter or crumb - eat it natural/fresh if you can (someone will correct me if this is wrong).

Tinned is also good (not if its in a sauce though)., although I do believe some tinned tuna has lost the Omega 3 element. I eat 3 or 4 small tins of red salmon a week.

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange my only HbA1c said at the top of the sheet non D range from 30 somthing to 42, 43-48 Pre, and 48+ Diabetic. See someone here saying they got a Pre diagnosis at 41? Guess the recommendations must change then.

I was the same as you just in the pre range,, I got diagnosed as pre with a 42 or 43 in Dec 13. At first I just followed the NHS guidelines until I came on here. Now I follow the advice on here as much as i can. My wife is from Philippines so it wasn't all easy at first,,as most of her meals come with rice lol. When I look back no wonder my levels where up as I had large heaped plate of white rice dishes nearly every night lol.

I decided not to go down the route of self testing as it just wasn't for me really. Probably just over worry myself and in the end I decided if I am eating better and exercising enough then I am doing all I can and what will be will be anyway. My dad got type 2 in his 50;s so I may just have the gene anyhow,, but he was the exact opposite ie. overweight, smoked, drank every night , and never exercised , so I live in hope.

At first it sounds really scary and its not easy making all the changes. But every little helps. I lost about 2 stone just by going to the gym running twice a week and giving up bread. I actually started to lose too much weight. You will be amazed at how just by cutting or lowering carbs you actually lose.

I still have my one night a week tho when I treat myself. Not at first tho I waited until I had got my weight down first and I Probably shouldn't but we are but human right,, it makes the rest of the week easier for me if I have something to look forward to. I found it easier that way than saying right I will NEVER eat that again.

Good luck

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @jacbabbit :)

@Lynn1
Do you have the link to your original thread, Lynn? The one you started when you arrived as a preD?
Only there was MASSES of info on it suitable for jacbabbit.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
14 pages! My goodness, I made a nuisance of myself, didn't I?

Lol

You asked a lot of questions.
And there are probably many people out there who benefited from them just as much as you.
:)