1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by catherinecherub, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Other · Well-Known Member

I think you are about to get an avalanche of replies saying, "Yes, do get a meter". It's also true that some people here don't do home testing, but I don't think they would actually advise against it, it's just their preference. I'm absolutely no expert, I only found out about my A1c test of 41 (officially one point away from pre-diabetes in the UK but already pre- in the US) in August. Since then I have been reading up about all this and the writers who impress me as the most sound (Jenny Ruhl and Dr Bernstein) have convinced me that the repeated tests that we can do at home before and after meals are in fact more useful than the A1c. In addition I have found my home tests very motivating to make efforts to lower my bg. I wouldn't want to wait a whole year to find out if I'm on the right track.

Someone should be along soon to send you some info on meters. I like the TEE@ because it's free, but the Codefree has slightly cheaper strips. There is nothing to stop you getting a free TEE@ first (with 10 free strips, 10 free lancets and a lancet gun, all in a nifty case). That way you risk nothing, if you don't like testing after all you have paid nothing, and if you decide you'd prefer a Codefree you can still order that. BTW what is a GTT? All that springs to my mind is Gin and Tonic.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Triciamcl

Triciamcl Prediabetes · Member

GTT , Glucose Tolerance Test, my doc calls it but I think it's also called something else on here. Thanks for the quick reply .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexandra100

You should have had lots of other repllies by now. I think your question has been buried at the end of this long thread. I suggest you post it again as a new thread somewhere.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Triciamcl

Have already put it on two other places, the introductions and pre diabetic forums but no other replies except yourself x

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. Alexandra100

Oh dear, I can't think what has gone wrong, this is very unusual. Anyway, I have sent a pm to Jaylee, one of the moderators currently online, so I hope she will be sorting some info for you. Meanwhile, assuming you are in the UK, here is a link you could use to acquire a free meter
    http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
    They actually have a 24 hour free telephone helpline where you get to talk to a human being straight away, or you can order online. Things arrive very fast.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Triciamcl ,

I'm a big advocate of getting hold of your own meter..., Going to tag in @Bluetit1802 who knows more than a thing or two about affordable home BS testing in the absence of a GP issuing & prescribing meter & strips....

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Triciamcl

Thank you very much, I have received one reply now , they think my readings may be ok , perhaps normal,
    but I perhaps should have mentioned that these were fasting reads and I think this makes a difference ??

8. ovadia

ovadia · Newbie

Greetings
    4.7(86)this morning.:)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @ovadia !

10. jwongcsp

jwongcsp Prediabetes · Member

file:///Users/admin/Downloads/Blood%20Glucose%20Meter%20Accuracy%20Comparison%20(Chart).html

Check out this article

11. Alexandra100

The link doesn't seem to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook