Pre diabetic

Sybil1000!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi can anyone help me please? this is my first post and I’m feeling quite desperate…Ive recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and pre diabetes type 2…no medication for the pre diabetes prescribed… but I’m struggling with everything… especially fatigue and everything tasting horribly sweet.
My eyes are puffy with droopy eyelids and I’m now drinking lots of water especially at night.
I feel I can’t eat much too as I feel sick.
I have an appointment with diabetic nurse on 26/1/24 but not sure I can wait till then.
Should I be worried about my symptoms or am I just being a “ woose “?

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s a very frightening and frustrating time for you as information and advice can be hard to obtain and harder to understand. I’ve found this forum very informative. I would suggest you are very careful about your diet and avoid carbs when possible. Stay away from ultra processed food, try fresh green vegetables and fruit, meat and fish but not too much of anything. Many T2 DM’s are insulin resistant, and that is your fat cells have enough glucose and switch off refusing to accept more. Try and find out if you can be tested for this, see if they will provide a Glucose meter and test yourself before and after eating. Establish which foods give you a high B glucose reading and limit them or find an alternative. It’s a self learning exercise and you will find you may end up knowing more about the your condition than the nurse. Good luck and try not to worry as it’s counterproductive.

Sybil1000!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a very frightening and frustrating time for you as information and advice can be hard to obtain and harder to understand. I’ve found this forum very informative. I would suggest you are very careful about your diet and avoid carbs when possible. Stay away from ultra processed food, try fresh green vegetables and fruit, meat and fish but not too much of anything. Many T2 DM’s are insulin resistant, and that is your fat cells have enough glucose and switch off refusing to accept more. Try and find out if you can be tested for this, see if they will provide a Glucose meter and test yourself before and after eating. Establish which foods give you a high B glucose reading and limit them or find an alternative. It’s a self learning exercise and you will find you may end up knowing more about the your condition than the nurse. Good luck and try not to worry as it’s counterproductive.
I’m completely in the dark.. I don’t really know anything about diabetes.
I just know I feel terrible.
Thankyou for your help.

• Hug
Reactions: Paul41 and flonvic

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest having a good read of this forum - it is a mine of information. i am hypothyroid as well although I have had that for the last 6-7 years and it is pretty stable. The pre-diabetes is recent - November last year. Is your thyroid back into normal range yet do you know - it took me over 6 months to get mine back. If you are not in normal range some of your symptoms may be due to this, especially fatigue. If you are feeling that bad though it may be worth making an appointment with your GP to help put your mind at ease. You will get through this.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi can anyone help me please? this is my first post and I’m feeling quite desperate…Ive recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and pre diabetes type 2…no medication for the pre diabetes prescribed… but I’m struggling with everything… especially fatigue and everything tasting horribly sweet.
My eyes are puffy with droopy eyelids and I’m now drinking lots of water especially at night.
I feel I can’t eat much too as I feel sick.
I have an appointment with diabetic nurse on 26/1/24 but not sure I can wait till then.
Should I be worried about my symptoms or am I just being a “ woose “?
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a little to navigate the food for the time being. Have to add though, avoid cauliflower and broccoli, as well as soy products, as cruciferous veg can affect thyroid function, and soy the uptake in the intestines, of any thyroid hormones you need to take as a supplement. I have Hashimoto's, so I know a wonky thyroid can mess up blood sugar regulation as well. So personally, I'd say, get on the right dosage for thyroid medication, which can take a few months, and then, if there's a need, look into medication for prediabetes, if that is what you want. Odds are you can get your numbers back down into the normal range, just by cutting some carbs (which turn to glucose once ingested, mostly), but if you need to know what to tackle first, I'd say, the thyroid. Once that's straightened out, you have a baseline, should you consider such things as metformin and the like.

You're going to be okay. Hang in there. I couldn't lift my fork at a certain point, not after having cooked just before, so... I know fatigue. And I know you have a thyroid and blood sugars working against you. And I know life can get a whole lot better when you get those two things sorted. You have time to do this, it doesn't have to get fixed overnight, but I do think you'll feel a whole lot better by the time summer'll roll around. Maybe even spring.
Hugs,
Jo

• Informative
Reactions: Paul41 and Outlier