Pre pregnancy with type1

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have type 1 and in pump. Have managed to get my hba1c down from 8.6 to 7.1 and still trying to aim for lower but as always an uphill battle. What is the ideal level for pre pregnancy? Was told earlier in the year it shod be lower than 7 now been told under 6. So desperate to start trying but don't want to put my baby or myself at risk just because I didn't wait.
Any advise would be very grateful.

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
Find cloe-1992 on here, she'd be perfect to speak to!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have type 1 and in pump. Have managed to get my hba1c down from 8.6 to 7.1 and still trying to aim for lower but as always an uphill battle. What is the ideal level for pre pregnancy? Was told earlier in the year it shod be lower than 7 now been told under 6. So desperate to start trying but don't want to put my baby or myself at risk just because I didn't wait.
Any advise would be very grateful.
Hi I have only just registered on here, the docs want you to be 7 and below I am under the pre pregnancy clinic and I am currently 8.3 and they are aiming for me to get to "nearer 7" hope this helps.

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Justine, think I just got a really annoying person that day to shatter my hopes! Seeing pre preggers doc in 2 weeks so hopefully will get the go ahead! It's a lot of hard work to even get to that stage and then it doesn't stop! But will be worth it all in the end. Good luck x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here , I have an appointment in 2 weeks , I used to be ok about going but now I always feel a failure. I go away from th

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry (pressed the reply button) I come away from the doctors really proactive and determined to keep a diary etc and then it comes round to the next appointment and I feel I haven't managed to stay on track. TBH I could do much better but I have a busy lifestyle and it does take priority. Well I think it does or all I would do is stay in And eat so either way I would still be struggling to maintain a good HbA1c argh it's frustrating :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also I don't want to scare you but I lost my first baby at 26weeks pregnant and iv just had a miscarriage. This could still be unrelated but I did not take pre pregnancy seriously. I hate the idea of planning (i hate planning anything) let alone a pregnancy. But it's something I am going to have to do to reduce risk.

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly! Do you stay in and be boring and a hermit or live you life! Are you on injections or pump? I am on pump and I was rubbish at keeping a diary! Now on pump you just download it and does it all for you and have graphs etc if you have a contour glucose meter you can do the same! I found having some graphs etc showing me my patterns helped me get my hba1c down and keep checking my averages. If you need anyone to chat to about it I am always here! Let me know how you get on x

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear about that! That must have been hard for you. Miscarriages seems to be a lot more common these days. I have quite a few non diabetic friends who have at late stages etc. I know we have a higher risk but I think unfortunately it's the lifestyle/ stress environment we love it that doesn't help anyone x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you , my professor told me to have a life. I am on injections, I did get offered the pump a couple of years ago and didn't opt for it. I always find that if I have eaten out or choose a pizza I won't test my sugars or write it down anyway ( gotta to admit to my bad choices if it's on paper) lol.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I know , not sure if I am doing the right thing joining up on here and reading all the professional literature. It makes me feel that it was my bad management when the professor said it wasn't diabetes and to not blame myself. But it is constant when your diabetic you can't do this and you can't do that. I have only just realised that I can have a low carb diet. Depressing sometimes lol

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think sometimes you have to take things with a pinch of salt! Someone else will always have an opinion on how you should do things! Do what's right for you. I've only just joined here and if I have any major concerns I will speak to my nurse. It's nice to know others are in similar positions and that you are not alone with this. Sometimes you just need to chat with someone who has been there and know what you are going thru at her than what the text book says you should be doing!

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the pinch of Salt. Iv only just come on here too (last night) so I am unsure how you can get round, but if we lose touch come and find me it's nice to chat things through with people who understand.
My friend (not very very close) is diabetic type 1 she was diagnosed when she was 15 and she diagnosed me at 27 but she does not like to talk about it. But she has gone on to have a healthy loving baby.

Italie

I kept mine at 6.5ish for both of my pregnancies and the same for 3 months running up to trying to conceive. I was told that it should be 'around 6' and they told me all the things that 'could' go wrong if it was higher. I'd never have forgiven myself if I let that happen so it turned me a bit OCD! I had no problems conceiving my first but it took nearly a year second time round. Maybe because I was 10 years older though. No complications through either pregnancy. Healthy children and good recovery from both C-Sections. I seem to remember getting a stern talking to when it crept up to 6.8!! xx

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, the team in my clinic said 7 or below. I'd read about needing to be 6 or lower, and the Consultant just shook her head and sighed and said she wished she could speak to the people that wrote those guidelines because it just doesn't happen like that in the real world. And isn't necessary.

Been on pump 6 months, last result was 6.3 - but was stressing about what it might be as the first few months on the pump are hit & miss. Before my appt, though, my DSN emailed me to say that even if it was 7.1 or so, they wouldn't not give me the go ahead to get baby-making.

We're still working on it though!!!

Good luck with it all, and try not to stress. That's a fantastic reduction in your numbers.

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, the team in my clinic said 7 or below. I'd read about needing to be 6 or lower, and the Consultant just shook her head and sighed and said she wished she could speak to the people that wrote those guidelines because it just doesn't happen like that in the real world. And isn't necessary.

Been on pump 6 months, last result was 6.3 - but was stressing about what it might be as the first few months on the pump are hit & miss. Before my appt, though, my DSN emailed me to say that even if it was 7.1 or so, they wouldn't not give me the go ahead to get baby-making.

We're still working on it though!!!

Good luck with it all, and try not to stress. That's a fantastic reduction in your numbers.
Tha

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies! It's all so stressful even to try and get to that point. Then try to maintain. I don't want to be irresponsible just because I want to get pregnant and then get complications etc but the end goal just seems so far away.