Precautions to manage insulin and diet while travelling

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I want suggestions on how to manage insulin and diet while travelling. If I walk for some time my sugar level goes down to 40. What precautions should I take to stop fluctuations in sugar level. Can I take chocolates as well as juices.
Please suggest.

ZGold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, knowing how your sugar levels react to travelling in general is a good start, as well as if you know the details of the travel you're doing - how much will be in transport where you're sitting, how much dashing from point to point, what sort of luggage/baggage is involved? I would always recommend having some form of sugar with you when travelling, especially if you're not confident of having places you can buy top-up snacks as you travel. My bag usually has assorted packets of sugar/biscuits (collect from hotels, cafes etc.) for dire situations, and at least one small (200ml) pure fruit juice (apple tends to be naturally sweetest, but you might have other options available - just check how much sugar they actually have). Chocolate, candy/sweets, glucose tablets - all viable options depending on personal preference and circumstance (chocolate not so good on hot days, for example).

On top of carrying sources of sugar/snacks, I'll also often reduce my insulin (long and short) and let my sugars run higher than usual, just keeping an eye on them and making minor adjustments if necessary. It's much easier if you're on a pump; I'm always wary of using pens in public, but sometimes it's not an option. Again, your mileage will vary depending on how you react when your sugars are at different levels, so you might find you have less margin for 'error'.

Reactions: SHmano

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, knowing how your sugar levels react to travelling in general is a good start, as well as if you know the details of the travel you're doing - how much will be in transport where you're sitting, how much dashing from point to point, what sort of luggage/baggage is involved? I would always recommend having some form of sugar with you when travelling, especially if you're not confident of having places you can buy top-up snacks as you travel. My bag usually has assorted packets of sugar/biscuits (collect from hotels, cafes etc.) for dire situations, and at least one small (200ml) pure fruit juice (apple tends to be naturally sweetest, but you might have other options available - just check how much sugar they actually have). Chocolate, candy/sweets, glucose tablets - all viable options depending on personal preference and circumstance (chocolate not so good on hot days, for example).

On top of carrying sources of sugar/snacks, I'll also often reduce my insulin (long and short) and let my sugars run higher than usual, just keeping an eye on them and making minor adjustments if necessary. It's much easier if you're on a pump; I'm always wary of using pens in public, but sometimes it's not an option. Again, your mileage will vary depending on how you react when your sugars are at different levels, so you might find you have less margin for 'error'.
Thank you for the suggestions. Helps to hear from people who have had experience. I will definitely follow your suggestions

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @SHmano Sadly nothing can stop fluctuations, they are part and parcel of the condition and taking insulin, How do you test your BG levels ? What insulin are you taking ? Can you check every 20 mins ?

To avoid going low, before exercise I aim to ensure I don't have quick acting insulin in my system. Set a target and aim to keep your levels above 160. Keep glucose in your pocket and if your dipping then aim to eat 10g of carbs and just keep a watchful eye, also trust your senses, if you feel your going low and have good hypo sensitivity then don't wait to check, take your glucose.

Reactions: EllieM and SHmano

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @SHmano Sadly nothing can stop fluctuations, they are part and parcel of the condition and taking insulin, How do you test your BG levels ? What insulin are you taking ? Can you check every 20 mins ?

To avoid going low, before exercise I aim to ensure I don't have quick acting insulin in my system. Set a target and aim to keep your levels above 160. Keep glucose in your pocket and if your dipping then aim to eat 10g of carbs and just keep a watchful eye, also trust your senses, if you feel your going low and have good hypo sensitivity then don't wait to check, take your glucose.
Hi Juicy,
Thanks for sharing your incite.
I take Human Actrapid and Lantus. Only twice a day. Check sugar levels before taking a shot both in the morning and night. I will definitely ensure to keep sugar levels at a higher level.

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieM

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
I'm new to insulin and now slightly stress about the decision making for taking it when I'm out of routine in any way. For example if I'm ill or exercising. If I go out walking I taking fruit squash. I have a sensor which warns me if I go too low, but I was advised to sip a fruit drink if it starts going lower and the arrow is pointing down. I find this seems to work reasonably well. I seem to prefer it rather than lowering insulin doses. If I drop dosage, my levels can really soar for days afterwards. The whole thing is a lot more complex than I had ever realised, I must say.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
For those of use with continuous glucose monitors and flash readers it is sometimes easy to forget that many T1s have managed for decades with good old fashioned glucometers (and before glucometers with hypo awareness, yes, I'm that old).

I think the most important thing is to be hypo aware, and if you aren't you need to aim to stay a bit higher and (if possible) test more often. (Not medical advice, just my own experience.) I definitely took/take a glucometer on long walks and test occasionally while walking. I always, always, always have (plenty of) fast acting carbs with me.

I find I tend to go hypo in airports, so if flying always make sure your glucose is easily accessible (not much point having it in a carry on bag if the bag is stowed over your head and the fasten seatbelt sign is on.

And if I'm travelling with a partner he often has glucose with him too, just in case.

Enjoy your trip @SHmano

Reactions: SHmano