Prediabetes?

Brucebaby

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have significantly cut down my carbs in the last 2-3 weeks. (Not diagnosed but have many symptoms). Had my first hbaic blood test which was 38. Should I share with go? Would this be an accurate measure of possible pre diabetes? Many thanks.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Brucebaby
The Hba1c is the main diagnostic tool for Type 2 and pre
38 is in the normal range and does not indicate type 2 or pre diabetes.
Up to 42 is considered normal, 42 to 47 is in the pre diabetic range and above 47 is Type 2

The Hba1c measures how much glucose has stuck to your blood cells over their lifetime.
The cells live for around 12 weeks so it's seen as a sort of 12 week average. The higher your blood sugar has been in that 12 weeks, the higher your Hba1c will be.
Although you have been on a low carb diet for a couple of weeks, that is unlikely to have had much influence on the results.

I think you should see your GP about your symptoms though, self diagnosis is never a good idea. Much better to get a professional diagnosis and receive the correct treatment for your symptoms.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

mouseee

Definitely GP although you could list some of the symptoms you have for us if you want. No diagnosis obviously but we can tell you if they are typical or unusual symptoms.
Hba1c of 38 I'd jump for joy at! Below threshold for prediabeties so as @catinthehat said, chat to GP about the symptoms you have.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe in the US 38 is classed as prediabetic. @Brusebaby do you live in the US?

Brucebaby

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys. No I am in UK. My symptoms -
Thirst
Dry eyes and mouth
Joint pain
Fungal infection in toe
Father had diabetes. Died from pancreatic cancer
I had gestational diabetes 30 years ago
3 stone overweight all around my belly.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Brucebaby
You'll find this podcast interesting, by 2 Australian lady doctors, all about insulin resistance which is a precursor to diabetes...unless you take action

mouseee

Thanks guys. No I am in UK. My symptoms -
Thirst
Dry eyes and mouth
Joint pain
Fungal infection in toe
Father had diabetes. Died from pancreatic cancer
I had gestational diabetes 30 years ago
3 stone overweight all around my belly.

The main one there at diagnosis would be thirst. Having looked the other ones up they seem to be linked with having diabetes longer term. But it doesn't mean you don't need getting checked out - get on the app if you have one at your GP and set out your concerns. For me that's the quickest way to get answers and in fact how I was diagnosed about 5 years ago.
A low carb diet may well help you with weight loss diabetic or not. I tried various ways of losing weight and they never worked they usually involved carbs and I now know I wasn't processing them.