Pregnancy and pump failure

nickyc1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, currently 11w 4days pregnant and last night I had an issue with blood sugars going up to 27.7 on finger prick (libre failed to alarm and then kept error messaging )

Guessing was a pump issue as had deffo given evening meal bolus and said I had active insulin. Changed quick set and insulin and eventually got sugars down to normal level after a few hours. I then hypo’d most of the night (confirmed via finger prick as ripped my sensor off in disgust after failed to alarm that was going high earlier!!)

Any way I am now feeling stressed that I have done damage to baby with this high sugar. Spoke to diabetes team this morning and they were shocked at the random high as I never go that high. They were lovely and said should be ok etc but just wanted some reassurance from any of you that may have actually experienced this first hand.

Many Thanks,
Nicky.

• Hug
Reactions: filly

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before my son was born 31 years ago, before Libre and before CGMs etc, I had an endless series of massive hypos. On about five occasions I was carted off to A&E in an ambulance. The snag was that they would put me on a glucose drip, but then insisted I ate brown toast befors I was discharged. On every occasion this caused a spike to 22 or 23 mml within an hour and a half. I was finally prescribed glucagon which my husband had to inject, if he couldn't wake me up in the middle of the night. He could tell I was hypo because of the waves of hot, damp air from me which fortunately disturbed his sleep. My son is fine, with no medical problems, no medical history to take into account. He has a 2:1 degree in Maths and only worries about his student debt. You were lucky your team were re-assuring. The fact is, every female type 1, every pregnancy and every baby is different. I was worried senseless by some rubbish I was told by a GP, who knew nothing about me or my baby. Keep calm and ask your team for help. More blood tests are probably a good idea, if the technology isn't proving reliable, Good luck. You can do this.

Reactions: filly