Pregnancy Blog

LivsMum82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I'm a type 1 of almost 25yrs, and I have a very happy and healthy daughter aged almost eight months. When planning my pregnancy I struggled to find information about what to expect at what stage, so I kept notes for future reference in case we choose to have another child in the future. Given the lack of available information, someone suggested I put it online, so I've written a blog:

https://diaryofapregnantdiabetic.wordpress.com/

Even after 25 years, I'm not an expert, but I have a reasonable understanding of my condition, so hopefully my comments will be useful to anyone planning pregnancy, anyone already pregnant with T1 or gestational diabetes, or even your partners, who are likely to have even less idea what to expect than we do.

Happy reading!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya this is great! I too wish I'd had more support when I was pregnant with my daughter now 2 (and t1 diabetic). I think second time with my twins it was easier as knew more what to expect but had to contend with horrendous pain and sickness -and a toddler! In my experience it's only others that are in a similar position that really get it. I'm on a pump so personally feel I couldn't have had good control without one (been diabetic for nearly 35yrs too). I think the aftercare needs looking at though as midwives don't seem to get the consequences for a type1 mum after delivery (with my twins they were great). Good luck for the future xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @LivsMum82 I read your blog the other day on Twitter, I think diabetes uk had posted it there. I'm currently 27 weeks and found it such a good read, had thought about doing one myself as you say there's not really much out there for us but pretty much all of my pregnancy so far has been dominated by hypermesis so I've not been focused enough to do it, but thank you for yours it is great :)