Prescription Exemption renewal

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went to pick up a prescription today and showed my prescription exemption card. The pharmacist mentioned that there was just over a month left on my card and that I should contact my doctor to get a new one.

I thought that I would be contacted by card issuers in Newcastle to renew it as stated on http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1638.aspx

I don't want it to run out and have to pay for my next batch of meds. Can anyone tell me what the procedure is in England?

Many thanks.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My understanding is that if you are officially diagnosed with diabetes then your prescriptions are exempt? I have never had an exemption card and never paid for meds since diagnosis but perhaps that's because I'm over 65?

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daibell said:
Hi. My understanding is that if you are officially diagnosed with diabetes then your prescriptions are exempt? I have never had an exemption card and never paid for meds since diagnosis but perhaps that's because I'm over 65?

You also have to be on meds (metformin etc) being diabetic on diet only does not count for free prescriptions I am afraid.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, all you need to do is visit your GP surgery, the receptionist should have the forms, fill them in, the Dr has to sign them, then the surgery sends them off and you get a new exemption card in the post. Recently done it myself, it was no hassle and I received the card about 3 weeks later. :)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't want to bother my doctor if I was sent a form from the card issuers, I just wanted to check what the process was. It is the first renewal for my card.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Form to renew it arrived today in the post from Newcastle. Pharmacist was wrong that I needed to contact my GP surgery. I was a bit concerned that the form hadn't arrived as it runs out on 2nd November.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Just went thrugh the renewal procedure (first time) GP surgery : not a clue on procedure :shock: , ask pharmacist! pharmacist said wasn't him but gave me NuT phone no, who sent form. success. :thumbup: