PROBLEM WITH AUTOCOVER NEEDLES

Debz229

My partner has been using Autocover needles for the last 2 years as she doesn't like injecting herself and seeing the needle, she has been in hospital 3 times in the last 3 years with DKA which was very frightening for everyone. Her diabetes was badly controlled and her levels were always high, we decided to change her injection side which helped for a short while but then her levels started to climb again. We then decided to change from using the Autocover needles back to the original needles and ever since doing that her levels have dropped dramatically to the point of her having appro 4-5 hypos a day. we have come to the conclusion that it must be the Autocover needles that have been causing the problem. My partner is only 78kgs and is currently on very high dosage 40 Novorapid and 60 Levemir - its a shame that not one consultant or Dr hasn't even suggest changing the injection site and needles in the last 3 years, my partner could have possibly avoided being admitted to hospital.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with Autocover needles....? If so what problems have youo experienced...?

:thumbup:

alaska

Can I ask whether your partner has a tendency at all to keep reusing the same spot to do an injection?

For example, say she uses her leg for injections, does she have a tendency to put the injection in a 'favourite' part of the leg each time?

This could lead to inconsistent results.

Debz229

No she changed her injection sites all the time, since changing from autocover needles back to normal needles her levels have dropped dramatically and her insulin will be reduced as a result.

Clearly there is a problem with the Autocover needles - I'd hate for someone else to go through what she has had to go through, she almost died last year due to DKA and it wasn't because she wasn't taking her insulin its because the insulin wasn't getting into her body because of the Autocover needles there is no other explanation..!

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD PROBLEMS LIKE THIS...?