Problem with Freestlye Libre applicator

Chrissy232

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had the Freestyle Libre for 2 weeks and the first sensor my Diabetic nurse applied, but now I just can't seem to apply another sensor.

Am I not pushing hard enough? I have one that I thought it was an issue with the applicator but now I'm thinking it is actually me after attempting again. I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong but do have weakness in my hands after a number of operations. How do you press this thing?

I managed to get it to release but it was not attached to my arm and I really don't know what I did to release it.

I'm getting very upset I can't seem to apply.
Any pointers would be helpful.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. I used one for years and now I use a Dexcom, but I still use a Libre on my diabetic dog.

Make sure you clean the area with something like alcohol or some people apply it right after a shower, but you want the skin clean and completely dry before you apply.

First I always push hard on the applicator when attaching/extracting? the sensor in the second piece of of the applicator that actually has the sensor in it. Then when I apply I do press pretty hard and hold it there for a few seconds. I kind of do a circular roll press around the edges to make sure it's attached well. When I go to remove it I gently rock it back and forth working it slowly off. Once when I couldn't get the applicator to detach from the sensor on my arm I had called Abbot and they said to push it back down harder, that did work for that one.

In my case I am using Skin Tac to make sure it stays on my dog and I wait for it to be tacky so it is actually even harder to remove without pulling the sensor back off. So I try to use my finger or a set of tweezers to feel the edge of the sensor, there is a little bit of adhesive around the outside edge that you can hold down to gently work off the sensor.

I believe if you call Abbot they can walk you through the application process, they do want it to work for you. Several people on this site use a Libre so hopefully more come along to help and you can figure out what is going wrong to your process of applying it. There is always the possible bad applicator/sensor though too.

I hope this helps!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I not pushing hard enough?

Have you watched any video's on it? They can be very helpful. While it needs a bit of pressing it's not a lot of pressure. Do you manage to open the applicator itself? That takes way more power then the inserting, so if you can manage that I don't think the applying the sensor itself would be a problem.

Please explain a bit more about where the exact problems lie, maybe we can help. Calling Abbott for guidance may be of help too. Or ask a friend to go over it and watch the video's with you so you can do it together.

Good luck!